one. a cool guy

•CHAPTER ONE•
a cool guy

REGAN DOESN'T CARE if it earns the stupid nickname 'Portable Charger' from her best friend, she's extremely glad that she can power her phone to one hundred percent in only a couple of seconds

REGAN DOESN'T CARE if it earns the stupid nickname 'Portable Charger' from her best friend, she's extremely glad that she can power her phone to one hundred percent in only a couple of seconds. Of course, the other things are cool, too, like the ability to somewhat fly and blast things with electricity, but the phone one specifically stands out on days where she's running late— ones like today.

While busting robberies and preventing car thefts have become normal feats for Regan, she still hasn't mastered the task of not hitting the snooze button every time her alarm goes off. And, in turn, running late and cramming herself into an overloaded subway to make it just on time to get to her locker before classes start.

Regan yawns as she moves around the balls of paper and fallen books that have accumulated in her locker, searching for a particular notebook. After a late-night roaming of the streets, she hadn't managed to get that much sleep. The adrenaline on nights like the one previous, where something actually happens that she can stop (last night it happened to be a mugging in the street), are the ones where her mind never manages to shut down and turn off for a few hours. That, mixed with the electricity still running through her body, is never a good formula for rest.

"Have you seen the new Spider-Man video on YouTube?"

Regan's best friend Hazel always manages to search her out quicker than Regan can keep up with. At least she's grown used to the sudden voice appearing around her locker door that she doesn't jump at the abruptness anymore.

"No," says Regan. "And you already know I'm not interested in joining his fan club."

But Hazel isn't listening, too busy typing in the password on her phone to load up the video and shove it in Regan's face. Deciding it's not worth the fight, Regan sighs and watches it.

The video is, like usual, pretty bad quality. It displays a road deserted of cars, a couple of people walking on the pavement beside it. After a few minutes of tranquillity, a white van comes speeding along, spiralling out of control, but it's too late before the civilians realise and only a few manage to scatter out of the direct line of the oncoming van.

It looks like two people are about to be hit when a red and blue figure swings into frame and manages to stop the van with his bare hands. After a quick check that the people are okay, he makes a small salute and is off again, disappearing out of frame.

"With the rate he's going, he'll soon beat your most popular video with views," says Hazel, shoving the phone back into her pocket. "That 'Spider-Man saves child from speeding car' is quickly gaining on 'Mayhem stops store robbery'. You've got competition."