seven. mario kart & mars bars

•CHAPTER SEVEN•
mario kart & mars bars

WHEN THEY FINALLY arrive at the hotel, Flash is the first to saunter off the bus with an air of undignified grace

WHEN THEY FINALLY arrive at the hotel, Flash is the first to saunter off the bus with an air of undignified grace. He makes no stop to retrieve his bags and heads straight into the building as though he owns it. Regan wonders how long it will take him to realise that no one is going to act as his personal butler and bring his luggage inside for him.

She stretches out her limbs, which ache from sitting so long in one position, as Hazel lets out a loud hiccup, one of which have been plaguing her for the last ten or so minutes. As her friend grumbles about the unfairness of life, Regan stands up and dismounts the bus.

The hotel is grand and feels somewhat pretentious, made even more true by the interior. A chandelier that looks the size of the bus hangs above a huge lobby full of men in suits who push carts of suitcases. It's clean and smells faintly of flowers, which are only punctuated by the aroma of freshly cooked food as they pass the restaraunt.

"There's a bird in there," Abe observes; when Regan follows his pointed finger, she spots colourful feathers perched on a stand in a large cage.

"This place is huge," says Cindy.

Flash only shrugs. "I've seen bigger."

"Alright, room keys, everyone. Don't forget your room keys, over here," Mr. Harrington calls to the group, leading them over to the registration desk. He tries to count the number of kids, pointing at each one in turn, but gives up when the third random guy walls by and messes it up.

After telling everyone to get in a line with the person they're sharing a room with, Regan follows Hazel to near the back and about fifteen minutes later, they have the key and head to the elevator.

"I was wondering why this trip was so expensive," says Hazel, pushing the button to the floor of their room. "It's because we're staying in a damn palace."

"Don't act like you don't love it."

"After that bus ride, I'd love anything," she says, extending her arms in a stretch as if to emphasise her discomfort. "Besides, I'm betting there's expensive chocolate somewhere downstairs."

Their room, when they arrive, is similar to what Regan had expected after the lobby downstairs. It's spacious and houses two fancy, comfortable-looking beds and a massive TV. The bathroom has a large shower that Regan can't wait to use later; a small trace of sweat has begun to form on her skin after being cramped with other teenagers in a bus for hours.

But for now, she collapses on the bed nearest the door when they walk in, bag sliding from her back to the bed as the straps remain on her shoulders. The cover feels ridiculously soft beneath her skin and after the past few days, all she wants is to go to sleep.

"Figures you take the bigger bed," Hazel mutters, walking to her own.

Regan barely lifts her head up, and her voice comes out muffled from half of her face being squished against the cover. "They're the same size."