Mariah is an expert in love

MARIAH AND PERCY walked aimlessly around the camp. It was anything but peaceful really. The entire time Mariah was lecturing him about how he's almost ruined everything with Annabeth by being with Rachel.

Percy of course was the one thinking Annabeth was in the wrong. Which only made Mariah lecture him more.

"I just don't understand her sometimes."

"Let me spell it out for you. Percy, you're in love with the girl. So don't waste your time on a ginger and let Annabeth slip away."

Percy avoide Mariah's eyes. "But I don't get what she has against Rachel!"

"She's jealous."

"Why would she be jealous?"

"Oh you oblivious boy." Muttered Mariah. "Think about it. You two were meant to go and see a movie alone. Then you show up . . . with another girl! What else is Annabeth meant to think?"

It seemed like Percy was finally starting to realize it. And if he wasn't, then Mariah would have to pay a little visit to Miss Rachel Dare and make sure she didn't disrupt what would be Percabeth."

Percy tried to change the subject onto Mariah, probably not wanting to keep talking about his love for Annabeth. "So, do you have your eye on anyone?"

"No."

Percy's face fell. "No one?"

"I'm from the 1900's Percy. I've been a Huntress for half my life. I never had time for romance."

"Well, what about any guys you've met at this camp?"

Mariah glanced around, wrinkling her nose at everyone she saw. "I'm not really into men."

Percy's eyes widened a little, looking like something clicked in his non existent brain. Mariah wasn't sure what she'd said wrong.

"Good to know." Percy finally answered. Mariah nodded unsurely, still unsure of why he was acting a bit weird. 

They made their way through camp, Percy said hi to some of his friends. Mariah received dirty looks from almost everyone. No one except Percy and Annabeth, and possibly Will Solace trusted her here. But that was ok. She didn't exactly care too much. They were right not to trust her, as Mariah already felt herself the tension that grew in the air when she was around the Greeks. Mariah didn't know why, but she was not supposed to be here.

 In the Big House's driveway, Connor and Travis Stoll from the Hermes cabin were hot-wiring the camps SUV. Silena Beauregard, the head counselor for Aphrodite, waved at them from her Pegasus as she flew past. Finally they wandered into the sword arena. 

They walked into the amphitheater and froze.  In the middle of the arena floor, with its back to me, was the biggest hellhound I'd ever seen.

This hellhound was bigger than a tank. She had no idea how it had gotten past the camp's magic boundaries. It looked right at home, lying on its belly, growling contentedly as it chewed the head off a combat dummy. It hadn't noticed them yet, but if they made a sound, they knew it would sense them. There was no time to go for help. Percy pulled out Riptide and uncapped it.

Mariah stood back, about to watch Percy get eaten. But did she stop him or try to help? No, she did not.

"Yaaaaah!" He charged. He brought down the blade on the monster's enormous backside when out of nowhere another sword blocked my strike.

CLANG!

The hellhound pricked up its ears. "WOOF!"

Percy jumped back and instinctively struck at the swordsman—a gray-haired man in Greek armor. He parried his attack with no problem.