chapter 5 || the accident

(A/N: THIS STORY FROM NOW ON WILL SWITCH BETWEEN 1ST, 2ND, AND 3RD PERSON. ALSO SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED THIS IN FOREVER I HAVEN'T HAD A SPARK OF MOTIVATION SO AT THIS POINT I'M FORCING MYSELF TO FINISH SMTH FIWRUBHFE)

  So, remember a while back on how I mentioned something happened between me and Tsukishima? Well, I'll be explaining that today. 

  You sneakily creep up behind Tsukishima, your friend since your first year in junior high/middle school. 
  "Rawr!" you screamed at him. Tsukishima let out a small yet surprised gasp in return.
  "What the hell is wrong with you?" 
  You chuckled at his expression. It's the last day of your second year in middle school, so you wanted to make it special by hanging out with Tsukishima all day. He had no idea what your plans were, so throughout the day he was clearly getting annoyed. 

  It was lunch time, and you sat next to Tsukki. 
  "Soooo, are you excited about today?"
  "I would be more excited if you would just leave me alone for a minute."
  Your face saddened at his words. You just wanted to spend some time with him on the last day, but why wasn't he enjoying your company? 
  "Are you okay? Is something bothering you? You can always talk to me-"
  "Do you ever stop worrying about everyone? Seriously, I'm fine."
  You were shocked. Sure, he could be a little salty sometimes, but this is way overboard. You started to overthink. What if he hates me? Does he still want to be my friend? What should I do? 

Tsukki then stood up. He was going to move tables. Before he left, he looked at you dead in the eyes and said, "Meet me behind the school after classes are over. We need to talk." Those last words sent shivers down your spine. You were anxious. What was gonna happen? The rest of the day you were paranoid.
  You had next class with him and you sat together so it was awkward. Painfully awkward. Not only was it extremely painful to sit there, it was very, very tense. The whole classroom felt tense. As if Tsukishima's energy radiated the whole room. Even the teacher knew something was up. You could tell what he had on his mind was not a good thing. At all.

  It was now the end of the day. It was time to face Tsukishima behind the school. As you started to walk out of class you saw Tsukishima rushing to get there before you. You let him, as you didn't want to upset him further. You walked outside the building, and suddenly you had a wave of anxiety rush over you. All your thoughts gathered into one ball and rushed through your mind as you swiftly but carefully walked to the back of the school. You wanted to get this over with. You didn't even want to face him. Who knows what could happen?
  As you make one sharp turn, you see Tsukishima waiting for you. He had his arms in his pockets and tapping his foot impatiently, all while listening to music on his headphones. 
  You stood in front of him, dreading every second. He removed his headphones, and looked you up and down. You got tired of waiting.
  "I'm here. What did you want to say?" You said with a shaky voice. 
  "Why're you so anxious? I just wanted to ask why you decided to follow me around all day. It was kind of annoying."
  You stopped. You stopped everything. You even stopped breathing for a moment. All of that anxiety, all of that worrying, the overthinking, the sweaty palms, the paranoia, it was all for nothing?
  "It was all for nothing.." You whispered under your breath, not knowing you said that aloud. 
  "Hm? What was that?" Tsukishima said in a curious tone.
  "You.. you totally tricked me..! You TRICKED me you lying, slimy, son of a BITCH!" You nearly gasped at your own words, but you were too caught up in your own emotions to care. You had never, ever cussed at someone. You rarely ever cussed. 
  "ALL THAT WORRYING WAS FOR NOTHING? I JUST WANTED TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU ON THE LAST DAY. I THOUGHT YOU ENJOYED MY COMPANY. I THOUGHT YOU'D WANNA SPEND YOUR LAST DAY WITH ME BECAUSE I WON'T EVEN BE HERE NEXT YEAR AND YOU KNOW THAT!" 
  You yelled and cussed him out. Once again, your emotions got the best of you. That's how it always was.

  "LOOK, I DIDN'T MEAN FOR IT TO COME OUT THIS WAY. IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU'RE AN OVER-THINKER IS IT? YOU'RE BEING IGNORANT."
  "IGNORANT? YOU'RE CALLING ME IGNORANT?"
  "YES. WHO ELSE WOULD I BE TALKING TO?"

  You yelled back and forth. It seemed never ending. And then, you did it. You made the accident.

  "AT LEAST MY BROTHER ISN'T A FAT FUCKING LIAR." 

Tsukishima looked at you straight in the eyes. His eyes widened and his brows furrowed with anger and sadness. He began to tear up, but covered it up by looking at the ground. 
  You covered your mouth in shock. You couldn't believe what you'd just said. You wanted to take it back, but what's been said is done. 
  "Tsukki, I didn't-"
  "Don't call me Tsukki." 
  He shoved right passed you causing you to fall down on the grass. He took one last glance at you and then ran away. 

  And now you're here. Sitting in Karasuno High's gym, watching Tsukki and the rest of the team practice. 

  "Hey, are you feeling alright?" Yachi came up to you and asked. I guess she knew you were feeling down. 
  "Yeah, I'm fine. Just thinking about something."

  You never want to make the same mistake again. 

(sorry if its long- or not long enough 🧍‍♂️ i spent almost a whole ass hour on this so i hope you enjoy it 😩 apologies for the angst, i will make up for it)