Part 3

(The 64 reads beckoned me to write another chapter...)

With a few exaggerated hand movements, Hero steps towards you, mouth opening wide as he likely speaks with great power and emphasis. You attempt to read his lips, but he is speaking far too quickly for you to follow. The only way you really know how to react here is by preparing yourself for the worst: death. 

There is a sudden silence as Hero just stands there, tight in his posture and expecting you to make a move. You begin to panic. He has no idea you are deaf, does he? Of course he doesn't! And now here he is expecting you to respond to something you couldn't even understand! 

You take a step back. His brows furrow and not a second more you yelp, turning on your heels and bolting in the other direction. You don't last long. Suddenly he teleports in front of you. You swerve just barely past him, but he still manages to grab the back of your sweater and pull you by it. You very quickly slip out of the sweater, stumbling over yourself in the process. Then in one swoop Hero grabs you by the waist and throws you to the ground. He stands over you again, mouth opening even wider than before and bursting at the seams with rage. 

"I-I- I can't!" Your hands flung up over your head. You couldn't even remember the last time you had spoken; your voice was all scratchy and you didn't even know if the words were coherent. Last time you had asked someone about your voice they said it had somewhat of an unintelligible accent to it, which had been caused by you not being able to mimic natural voices anymore, and even THAT was a while ago!

Hero's eyes only flared in response. He appeared now to be growling something --a threat, you presumed. And all you could do was hope to be able to communicate better. 

"I I I- can't hear you!!" You assume you had screamed, since your throat hurts so much. Suddenly, the old friend shifts, and a brow of his raises. Hope spread through your mind like a wildfire as Hero stands taller, backing away from you a couple steps. He turns his back to you for a moment, his chin still moving up and down. Is he trying to test if you are lying or not, or is he just monologing to himself like those detectives in the books? The thought of him doing this made you fail at holding back a chuckle, the images of your old friend holding a monocle to one eye while puffing on a pipe. 

The image is quickly shot from your mind when he turns around with a frown. He continues to pace, all the time staring you down like a wolf might its weak prey --now you sit with your hands bracing your back at a slant-- but just like before you couldn't really understand anything he was saying... Perhaps you should have been more social and practiced lip reading before it became a matter of life or death. 

Finally it dawned upon Hero that your little handy-cap just might be true, and for it he visibly sighed. 

"Do you know sign language?" You try to speak, though you know some of it didn't come out quite right. The question didn't delight the towering man. He huffed, attempting to speak again before remembering it didn't work like that...apparently. (sorry but I think I am going back to past tense. It is just so much easier for me personally) 

Suddenly his sword was at your throat. His mouth opened wide and closed sharply, forming words that shook your  whole being, but you had no idea what he wanted. No idea what was on the line. Did he believe you, or did he not?! 

"What do you want from me?! Please!! J-j-jus-just tell me!" The sword immediately lowered, and Hero sighed again, this time stepping away from you. His back turned, you slowly rose back to your feet, trying to be as quiet as possible, until you stood crouched. Then you spun to run again. 

A blur from the top of your vision flashed, and you pulled the breaks right before the shiny blue blade from before could game-end you right then and there. The diamond sword, without its handler, dug into the ground, standing there deep in the earth with little vibration. You spun your neck back around. Hero's back was still turned to you, but a commanding hand of his pointed at you, then the ground underneath your feet began to shake. You stood there for a moment, deciding whether take the sword and attempt to run and or fight with it, or just do as he commanded until Hero found a way to communicate what he wanted. 

It was clear he didn't want to just kill you, still a surprise you were still alive, but perhaps all he had planned was to use you until you were no longer of use to him...and then kill you. Honestly, you had no clue. You just knew this guy was insane, a monster, and had no good intentions behind those creepy glowing eyes of his. 

Worst of all probably was that...he still looked so much like that goofy friend you once relied on. The one who all your friends could rely on. There had been times when he was a bit more reserved, but there were also plenty more memories of him goofing around, joining you and the rest on some of your pranking expeditions and much much more! All memories which flooded your mind, making this now, scarred, angered, creepy shell of a man... even more terrifying... 

You just didn't know what to think..now that he was actually here. 

(Now if we get up to 640 reads I might just update again. 

😂)