Part 2

A gentle warmth resting on your face wakes you, and your eyes open, meeting a bright ray of sunshine peeking through your open curtains. You squint, knowing it is time to get up but not quite ready yet. Yawning, you stretch under your covers, rolling over a little so your back is to the sun. You nearly fall back to sleep. Realizing this, you sit up quickly, looking over at your clock. It is nearly time to go to work already! Your eyes widen as your legs fly from under you to the side of the bed, your torso merely following. You stand up so quickly you wobble a little, catching your balance.

A quick look around your room: the space is only lit by the bright sunlight from outside. The walls are painted brightly in your first to second favorite color, and the dark furniture such as a worn wardrobe, your bed frame, and a large desk are all a dark, rich oak for contrast. Your space is small but fits you alone well. And best of all, you just finished paying off the mortgages for it last month! Freedom, finally!

Hopping over to your wardrobe, you pull out the drawers, grabbing some baggy jeans and a semi-nice looking shirt of a color you feel suits you, which you top with a thin, loose jacket that's only purpose is to make it look like you at least tried. Next you rush into the bathroom and brush your hair quickly, also doing some minor touchups involving makeup. That way you are at least presentable. Running out of the bathroom, then through the bedroom, you shove on a couple tennis-shoes and grab some toast on your way out, which you munch on while speed walking your way outside and onto the bustling neighborhood streets. Your neighbors are also either walking or driving to work. Some still choosing to ride horses. Luckily for you, your job isn't too far away, so you don't need to spend any extra on a ride.

---

Your hand is placed casually on a speaker as you water the flowers in front of you in little flower pots. You're outside where the sun can beat you the hardest, right in front of the flower shop you work at. It is a small, privately owned company, so it is fun to see the same customers coming annually to their trusted shop. This place also sells cheese in the back... just because...why not? Your manager's husband happened to find a perfectly fine fridge he saw laying around, and had to use it some way! This fun fact is in no way important... it's just funny.

You hum to the beat of the vibrations coming off of the speaker, making up in your head the words of a song singing about whatever wacky topic you want. It's really a shame you haven't been able to hear music normally in over five years now (let's say you were about 15-18 then, though the speciffic age doesn't matter too much), but you have managed to adjust in a fun way. Now you are just better attuned to the vibrations and what kind of pitch they might be playing based on that.

Suddenly, you feel a tap on your shoulder. Once you turn around, a short tempered woman begins flailing her arms at you, obviously angered about something. You just step back, staring dumbfounded, but trying your best to smile, gesturing for her to calm down. To your relief, your manager quickly runs up between you two and begins talking to the other woman. After probably explaining you are deaf to her, the lady begins to calm down. Your manager then begins talking to you in sign language, something she is still pretty new at.

"Turn the volume down." She signs. You quickly jump at that. You should have known it was the music! People always complained when it was vibrating enough for you to feel the beat. Guess you were just a little panicky there. Running over to the radio speaker, you turn it drastically down until your manager smiles, giving you a thumbs up. Relieved, you wipe your brow and finish watering the flowers.

The rest of the day was the same. Only the new shoppers were ones to make problems out of your disability. The annual shoppers by this point know full well that you are the deaf girl, and some even attempt to learn sign language so they can talk to you every time they visit. It is a nice gesture, but after so many years of being verbally isolated in some way from the rest of the world, you have gotten a little too use to just tuning out and living in your own inner world, only coming up to get a fresh breath of reality when your manager has a new assignment for you.

Your most frequented inner world is one where you have the power of flight and incredible strength. In that world, you can hear again. You are even a good singer with a voice so beautiful it can make any man instantly fall in love with you...if it is true love, that is. In that world there also incredible dragons that can be ridden, and are often carrying the Knights and princes, purest of heart, who wish to join you in the sky if you will allow it. It certainly is easy to indulge in this other world, imagining yourself flying over endless fields of the most beautiful flowers in the world. But, alas, reality is a little too real to be ignored entirely, and you still have the massive debt your parents left you eons ago, still needing to be paid off. It isn't enough to be responsible with your money... Now your parents' foolish floundering lead to ages of debt AND no one else to pay off said debt!

After a full day's work, you drag your feet along the pavement sidewalks back to your apartment, internally scolding yourself yet again for having the volume up too high earlier.

Then-

As you are passing an alley, an arm snatches you by the shoulder. You forget you can scream, immediately biting the large muscle of the tanned arm instead. The man flinched, and suddenly your entire world decides it doesn't exist anymore.

After some strange, painful sensation, you find yourself in a forest, still trying to escape the grasp of this stranger. Once your feet land solidly on shaded grass, the hand sets you free. You run away several feet and turn back only when you feel you are at a safe distance. And you can't believe who it is... Okay, so maybe you can, a little bit.

It's Hero! Only now, he has been upgraded to man. Standing way taller than you --before, he was just a few inches taller-- and by far a lot more trimmed, the now greatest threat to all the country stands before you, bright, relentless white eyes telling the story a thousand words could never spiel. This man certainly wasn't asking for forgiveness. Worse; it looked like he was ready to finish the job.

(Sorry it took me so long to update this!

7/26/21 😅)