[3] - Past Rumour

When an awkward silence drowned their area, no one knew who should break the ice.

Clearly, something happened between Chen Yichun and Shen Xiaoyun over these past 14 years, but Wu Jie didn't want to dwell on it.

Some tried to start up conversations again, though it was difficult to brighten the mood immediately.

Shen Xiaoyun, who was about to turn back around, locked eye contact with Wu Jie. The man's dark eyes, reflecting the dimness of his soul and the southwest breeze that blew from the window, captivated him.

The hints of transparency, as though a thin, clouded membrane covered the surface of his pale face, made Shen Xiaoyun's entire being something so vague, yet intriguing.

Wu Jie offered him a smile, and without hesitation, Shen Xiaoyun ignored it.

Wu Jie, "........"

Shen Xiaoyun turned his head away and continued to drink in silence. Although their interaction didn't last longer than a few seconds, the smile on Wu Jie's face remained and it didn't falter at all. Instead, he continued to fiddle with his thumbs under the table.

"Tch, that bastard is still as rude as ever. Don't worry about it, Dr. Chen!" one joked, and Chen Yichun laughed it off.

Suddenly, the person sitting next to Wu Jie smacked him on the back.

"You know, you used to be so hyper and energetic! I guess adulthood is really getting to you," he jeered.

"I'm just still trying to get used to being back here," Wu Jie smiled softly as he continued drinking from his cup.

They kept drinking and drinking. Before he realised it, he already downed three cups quickly, and a boiling heat coursed throughout his entire body.

"Drink more, drink more!" a man said and poured another glass for Wu Jie.

"I won't let you off that easy since you cut us all off like that," they blurted. "How about you drink fourteen glasses since you left for fourteen years?"

And like always, Wu Jie couldn't refuse and chugged down the entire glass. While the rest of them continued talking and drinking, the person beside him slung his arm over his shoulder and kept shouting and laughing.

Wu Jie had no energy left to do anything about it that he allowed himself to be pushed and pulled by the other.

⋆✬❍◐⬤◑❍✬⋆

An hour passed and he continued drinking the glasses that they all poured for him. Even though he knew his alcohol tolerance was never high to begin with, Wu Jie accepted them all and drank it. Maybe he desired to erase himself from his current situation, so they would stop talking to him. This was his only way to escape.

The heat started numbing his entire body as the unusual amount of warmth drizzled down his cheeks.

He started talking to someone, though he could barely understand what words were even coming out of his mouth. Although his face was burning, his fingertips felt cold.

Once again, he felt someone staring at him, though he couldn't find the energy to turn his head to look at who it was. Was it Chen Yichun again? No, it was Shen Xiaoyun.

"Wu Jie, you can't be tipsy already?" one laughed and poured him another.

"...I don't think I can drink anymore."

"Then were you all talk before? Here, here, the more you complain, the more you need to drink!"

Everyone started chanting for Wu Jie to drink another glass. Still stuck in a languid state, his mind was struggling to be awake. The mumbling of the voices eventually died out, but it was still not silent because now all he heard were murmurs of unidentifiable noises.