Chapter 9

Marion barely had time to say anything else when the sound of chanting filled the room: everyone looked around confused, even the spirits. Had they never heard this before? Marion had not nor had Jasper; it was in a language none of them could understand. The book before them started to glow and as if the book was burning her skin, Marion dropped the book on the ground. The light coming from it was getting brighter and brighter.

"I don't know what is going on, but I don't like it!" Marion yelled out to the group as the windows burst open from the outside.

"Oh Henry, what have you done?" Arthur gasped as he watched the dust travel around them caught in the wind.

Jasper grabbed onto Marion as the room around them began to change. Marion struggled to keep her eyes open as she gripped onto Jasper, but the wind was so strong, and she felt so tired. Then her eyes gave in, and she passed out there with Jasper.

When she opened her eyes again, a very alive looking Melanie was looking down at her with concern in her eyes. Blinking, Marion tried to remember what had happened, instead she sat up in a bed and looked down at her very new but old style of clothing. The same style that the true Melanie would have worn in her own time.

"Thank goodness you've awoken, such a horrible stagecoach accident, I am so happy you and Uncle Arthur were not injured." Melanie said with such relief in her voice.

A knock on the door made them both look over and Marion realized she was in Melanie's room. Minus all the years of dust and neglect. Melanie went to the door and opened it, Arthur took off his hat and walked inside of the room and he too looked very much alive.

"Please my dear, grant me a moment with my daughter." Arthur asked Melanie as he looked to Marion.

Did he know what was going on? Would he be able to give he answers? Melanie nodded and left the room gently closing the door behind her. Arthur sighed and came to sit on the end of the bed.

"Marion, I think the chanting we heard was a spell, he sent us back in time, he's going to try again but now maybe we can stop him." Arthur explained.

"What about Jasper? Have you seen him??" Marion asked worried.

"Yes, he is well, he is playing the part of Jake and Will's cousin. It was all I could do to keep him from busting down the door but that is not how things work in this time." He told Marion who could see that from Jasper.

Marion stood up and followed Arthur to the door knowing they would need to plan with Jake, Will and Jasper. When she opened the door there stood another man, he didn't look so happy to see Marion or Arthur. This had to be Henry.

"Brother, you and my niece came earlier than expected. Such a tragedy about your coach, it shall be repaired as quickly as possible. Until then I am happy you are here for the wedding and if you need to go anywhere use one of our carriages." Henry smiled as he looked between Arthur and Marion.

"How kind of you Henry, we were just going for a walk, fresh air will do her some good." Arthur smiled.

"I completely agree, Helps clear the mind and lungs. I will see you at dinner then." Henry then bowed and took his leave.

Arthur led Marion out of the house but as they went by another room, they both caught a glimpse of Melanie trying on a remarkably familiar wedding dress. Marion gulped as they continued to walk past the room. Henry was trying again all right, but he wouldn't succeed this time either. She would find a way to put a stop to his madness finally.

Leaving the house, she followed Arthur closely and was more than happy to get away from the manor for as long as she could. They went into an old shop that had not been used in what looked to be a long time, due to the cobwebs and dust all around. Jasper ran right to Marion and hugged her, holding her close to him like he was afraid she would disappear into thin air. She hugged him back so happy to see him alive and well.

"I have no idea what the hell happened, but I am so glad to have you in my arms again." Jasper told Marion as he held her tight.

"The chanting, it must have been a spell or something." Jake spoke up as he stood from the table he and William were sitting at.

"I agree completely, I have a theory that he found a way to reset the time for anyone in that manor, though that now also included Jasper and Marion here, so the past found a way to write them in. Marion has taken the place of my own daughter, Olivia, and Jasper is now a distant cousin who came to see your wedding, Jake." Arthur explains as he begins to pace the room.

"The wedding is in a couple of days; do we really have time to stop him?" Will asks as he looks at the people in the room.

Was it possible? Was there truly any way to stop Henry before history repeated itself. Melanie would lose Jake and the whole town would be sunk deep underground never to be seen again. Though if it went like last time, it would be Will who went in Jake's place so that Jake could try and make a run for it with Melanie.

"What if we keep part of Arthur's original plan?" Marion asked as she turned to face the other men. "Jake and Melanie need to get as far away from here as possible, Jake if you can convince Melanie to do that then he won't be able to hang you from the rafters this time."

Jake uncomfortably touched his throat with his hand, no doubt remembering the feeling of the noose around his neck and his last thoughts being of his one true love.

"I think she's right, getting Melanie out of there might be our only choice. We would need someone to act like her though and someone to distract Henry." Will said and all eyes went to Marion who looked much like Melanie, from her hair down to her freckles.

"I have a bad feeling about this..." Jasper groaned, clearly not comfortable with the idea of his wife being used as a distraction.

"I understand your concern completely but if this works it will break the curse, it will change everything about the future." Arthur said and Marion gasped.

"Even our future, we may not even know each other in the future. I might not even exist in the future." Marion said as she tried to keep calm, though clearly, she was failing.

"She's right, Henry hasn't kicked his son out yet, he does that the day before the wedding. By trying to save ourselves it might change everything that has already happened in the future and needed to happen." Jake spoke up being the voice of reason.

"So, what do we do?" Will asked wanting to think of another plan.

"Do everything he did from the start, though I admit I do not look forward to dying again." Arthur shook his head at the thought.