Prologue

"Why are they taking so long? We should just leave. It's obvious they aren't coming."

Dad and I sat in the conference room waiting for a client to have an 'important meeting'. It clearly isn't as important to them since they are half an hour late. 

"Relax pumpkin. You're too impatient."

I sighed in defeat then leaned back into my chair.

"Mr. and Ms. Bass, your clients are here." our secretary, Jannette, announced.

Clients? So there's more than one?

"Thanks, Jannette, let them in." my dad said then leaned towards my ear. "Be on your best behavior okay?"

Best behavior? Why wouldn't I be on my best behavior? That's when they walked in.

"Mr. Lodge, it's nice to see you again." dad said as he shook the man, who was around his age's hand.

"You too Mr. Bass." Mr. Lodge said smiling while returning the gesture.

Dad then turned to the younger man who was quietly standing next to his father looking like he wished to be anywhere but here. I bet he was the reason they showed up so late. I won't judge him because I would probably feel the same way too.

"Hunter, you look all grown up now. I haven't seen you in a good while."

Yeah, me neither.

"I've been," he cleared his throat. "busy."

My father nodded his head. I knew he didn't believe him. Of course, he's busy, we all are but that's not the reason why we haven't been seeing him.

Mr. Lodge and Hunter turned to look at me.

"Sophia, you are so quiet I didn't even realize you were in the room. Good to see you again." Mr. Lodge said as he came and shook my hand.

"Likewise," I said politely.

Hunter looked away then took a seat on one of the chairs. Everyone's smile quickly disappeared as tension filled the room.

My dad turned to Mr. Lodge. "Lodge, you ready?"

Mr. Lodge sighed then nodded his head. "Let's get this over with."

Both men headed to the head of the table and stood in front of the projector screen. I turned back to look at Hunter but his eyes were fixed on our fathers.

"As you know, we are getting older." my dad started.

"We've reached the age of retirement." Mr. Lodge continued and they both interchanged sentences.

"It's time for you two to take over our companies."

"So you couldn't just tell us that on our own instead of this unnecessary meeting?" I asked.

"My dear, this meeting is very much necessary." Mr. Lodge said. "We are going to be merging our companies."

"No way!" Hunter shouted.

"Hunter." Mr. Lodge said firmly.

I turned to my dad and he gave me a weak smile. He had sweat on his face but the room was freezing cold. It was a nervous sweat. There was something else.

"There's no way I'm going to let you merge with them! They'll rip us off." Hunter continued.

"Hunter you haven't let me finish. There's something that might make you a little upset."

"What could possibly make me more upset than this?"

Mr. Lodge turned to dad. "Bass, I've been doing the talking, why don't you tell them."

Dad's eyes opened wide. "You-you two will have to get married."

"What?" Hunter and I both shouted simultaneously.

Dad displayed three diagrams on the screen. "According to our statistician, these are the statistics with our companies merged with marriage, our companies merged without marriage and no merge at all."

And of course, the companies merged with marriage had the highest statistics.

"Two 'enemy' companies joining together by marriage?" Mr. Lodge laughed. "The public is going to go crazy over this."

"This is our lives you're talking about. You guys can't just look at statistics then force us to get married." I said.

"We aren't forcing you guys, darling. You have a choice." Mr. Lodge said.

"Really?"

He nodded his head. "Either you two get married and merge the companies or we find other CEOs to do the job."

"Dad you're being so inconsiderate right now!" Hunter shouted. He looked furious.

"I'm being inconsiderate? A good CEO always makes the best decisions for his company even if that 'best decision' is to marry the woman that he holds a stupid grudge against from years ago." Mr. Lodge shouted back. That was harsh even for Mr. Lodge.

I watched as Hunter's fingers slowly rolled into fists then relax. "Excuse me," he said then walked out.

Mr. Lodge pinched the bridge of his nose. "Do you guys see what I have to put up with? Don't worry I'll get him to come around. Hunter loves power and money, he's not going to walk away from it just like that."

"At least you're on board, right pumpkin?" my dad asked looking hopeful.

I picked up my bag and left.

AN: Thank you for choosing this book!
Please vote it would mean a lot and as previously stated in the description ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Happy reading!