Board Meeting

Today I threw on a cream turtle neck, a type of brownish dress pant with a cream coat. I wasn't late but I wasn't exactly early either. I wanted to go to work early since I skipped it yesterday. When I went downstairs to the kitchen I met Hunter and Ms. Turner talking. 

"Good morning," I said.

"Good morning," they said back.

I looked at Hunter and he was still in his pajamas. "Hunter we're going to be late."

"I'm not," he said as he handed me my coffee. "I'm working at home today." 

I frowned. I wished I could work from home today too but my schedule was packed with today's meetings and yesterday's.

"Lucky you. So I have to drive myself today?"

For the past few days, Hunter had been my driver.

"Yes. Have fun wife," he said with a devious smile then left.

Fun? When did he start calling me wife and why is he acting so kind? I shook my head then went to work.

When I reached, most of the staff were already at their desk working.

"Good morning Mrs. Lodge," Jannette said as she followed me into my office.

"Hello, Jannette. What is it?"

"You have a meeting right now with the board."

I dropped my bag almost immediately. "And you didn't think to tell me this Jannette?"

"I tried to call you but you weren't picking up so I called Mr. Lodge. He said he would tell you but I guess he forgot."

He didn't forget. He knew exactly what he was doing. That's probably why he was so happy this morning and stayed home. He crossed the line.

"Cancel the meeting."

"I can't. They're already in the conference room. "

You see, the board meetings were meetings you would try to avoid. It was always long and they were a lot of arguments. The CEO always just presents and let the board members argue among themselves. My dad use to always skip as many board meetings as he could and I'm sure Hunter's dad did too.

I sighed and walked to the conference room. When I reached inside, I saw four new faces. Bass Enterprises had four members and since we combined with Lodge Enterprises we have four more. Mr. Lodge wanted to fire them but we all agreed that we should just keep them all. We had enough funds to pay them so it didn't make any sense to put innocent people out of jobs.

"Good day," I said and they all answered back. The four new board members introduced themselves to me and they all seemed quite respectable.

"Where is Mr. Lodge?" one of them asked.

"He's home sick."

"Oh no. I hope he gets well soon."

I don't. Hunter owed me big time. I had to lie just to save his reputation.

The meeting started and the board members had already started fighting. This time it was the members from Lodge Industries arguing with Bass Industries. They were all so against each other. This was the first meeting since the merger so it was understandable.

After arguing for 4 hours, they all finally agreed on something. Half of my day was already wasted. I got up to leave but was stopped. When I turned back, it was one of the women from Hunter's board. She was much younger than others, maybe around my age.

"Hunter's not actually sick right?" she asked.

"Excuse me?"

"It's fine. We're friends. Mr. Lodge always makes him come to these and he would always use some lame excuse."

I nodded my head.

"Anyways you seem like a busy woman so I'll go. Tell him I said hi," she said then left.

I was trying not to be the jealous wife but she looked like they were more than friends. I thought that about Selena and I was right.

I dialed Hunter on the way back to my office and of course, he didn't answer me because he knew exactly what I was calling about.

When I reached my office, there was already a client waiting in there for me. After that, I had back-to-back meetings. I didn't even get a chance to have lunch. I just finished a meeting with my last client and all I wanted to do was go home.

I picked up my bag then drove home.

When I walked into the house, I could see Hunter's figure in the kitchen. "Hunter whatever your middle name is Lodge, I'm going to kill you."

When I reached, his body was towering over the kitchen island with an apron on. "What are you doing?"

"Making dinner. Ms. Turner had a family emergency."

"You can cook?"

"No, I'm just randomly chopping things up," he said sarcastically. "Of course, I can cook. Do you want to taste it?"

I took off my shoes and coat. "Stop trying to distract me. You completely played me this morning."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Jannette said you were going to tell me about the board meeting and you didn't!"

"Oh, that was today? Silly me, I must have gotten the dates mixed up."

I rolled my eyes. "You owe me one for today."

"Fine."

I rubbed my belly. "What are you cooking? I'm starving."

"Pasta."

"And why couldn't it be cheeseburgers again?"

"Because we had that last week."

I growled.

I sat and watched as he finely chopped all the seasonings together for the sauce. His hands moved in sync with the knife. It was quite attractive. He put on the pasta to boil and the meat to cook.

"Your friend on the board said to tell you 'hi'," I said trying not to sound jealous.

"Who Taliyah?"

I nodded.

"Oh."

"Oh?"

"What?"

"That's all you're going to say? Oh?"

"Yes. What else do you want me to say, Sophia?"

"How about you ask me how the meeting went? Hunter, you're CEO now. You shouldn't avoid these things."

"So you're telling me if you knew about it earlier, you would've gone?"

Probably not.

"If I wanted to know what happened, I wouldn't have skipped it," he said.

It didn't matter anyway. The board didn't care if a CEO was present or not because they were too busy arguing.

The food was finished and Hunter shared our plates.

"It looks and smells good Hunt," I said.

"Now it's time to taste it," he said as he handed me a fork.

I put some food on the fork then pushed it into my mouth. The taste was almost indescribable. It tasted like heaven. It was savory and made your mouth water for more. I started to nod my head vigorously.

"You like it?" Hunter asked.

I nodded my head again.

He smiled a little and we both ate. We finished in less than no time. I got a notification from my phone when I checked it was my dad. I put back down my phone.

"You're trying to ignore someone?" he asked.

"Yeah, it's my dad. He keeps wanting to know if you got me pregnant as yet. He's driving me insane."

Hunter looked at me.

"What?"

"Let's do it."

"What?"

"Let's get you pregnant."