Chapter 12

His eyes glance over at me while we walk, pondering over whether he should break the silence or if I will. "Do you ever wonder who you can trust?" I blurt out. He gives me another small smile. "Yes. Constantly. You'd be surprised by how many people want to kill you in this life." This time I smile with him. I know what you mean. "What do you do? Are you a merchant or...?" He stiffens, keeping his face void of emotion. He fills into his full height and I put another inch of distance between us. He's tall, maybe six feet. He sighs, looking towards the horizon and ignoring my question. I'm careful to reveal as little as possible. My instinct tells me to run from him. He would have recognized me by now.

I'm one of the Royal Siblings. If he has, he doesn't show it. He keeps his thoughts well hidden, and I realize he's the only person I can't read all of the time. Usually, I can see what someone's thinking but with him, I've got nothing. His vibrant eyes flicker over my face, reading me for a moment. He grins, maddening, as his eyes pull away from me and focus on the ground beneath him. Dimples. He has dimples. "Do you know what betrayal feels like?" I ask. His face darkens, his bright grin melting away. I can't fight the little victory of touching one of his nerves. He's agitating me with how kind he is. I tuck it away, into my pocket for later. I have to be loyal to him because he's one of my subjects. I have to be loyal to my subjects, even if I'm not the Queen. "Sometimes, I feel like there are eyes on my every move. I can't breathe without being judged." I nod in agreement. "I never asked if you were drunk. I need to know if you're lying to me," I banter, bringing the simper back to his face. "I can assure you I am completely sober." A small smile makes its way to my lips, and I observe him. He's already watching me, the gears turning in his head. We walk to the edge of the slums, and he falters, as do I. He turns to walk back the way we came and I skip a little in my step.

The people in the slums don't know that I feel compassion for them but I know they don't feel the same. They'd hold me for ransom, or slit my throat if they had the chance. "What's your name?" I ask. His face falls for a moment, before slipping beneath a mask again. "Kas. Call me Kas." I smile lightly, trying to ease his nerves, though he tries not to show it. Studying him, I memorize his hair, golden in the sunlight. In the bar, his curls looked black. I beam at the sight of his curls. Anything that reminds of the beauty in this world, brings me peace. "What?" He gives me a sheepish grin. "Nothing. Your hair. It looks golden in the sun, but when the lighting shifts, it goes back into the shadows." He grins, a pleasing sight. "Well, if we're doing this, your eyes are like grass. Sharp but also soft when it wants to be." I roll my eyes and stare at the ground. The smile on my face makes me feel better. I haven't smiled like this in a while. "I'm Vera." He offers his hand and I take it, his long fingers curling over my short ones. "Pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Vera." He told me his name so the least I can do is tell him mine. However, a sharp voice in my head tells me he already knows my name, like everyone else I come across. He stops at a binary convoy and I gawk at it in amusement. There's two wheels, one in the front, one in the back, with two seats. The color is jet black, like his hair, with silver accessories. "This is yours?" He shakes his head in approval. "Meet Lucille," he states with a proud glint in his eyes. "How did you get it?" I wince at the aftertaste of my words but he doesn't seem to mind the question. He places his palm on the handle, wiping it off with his sleeve. It sounds wrong, reminding him of rights he isn't allowed to have because of how he was born. "I have my resources. The officers don't bother to arrest me because I'm too fast, so I just blur through the streets with this beautiful girl. " I can't help but laugh a little at how he describes the machine. It's exhilarating to think about jumping on and kicking the clutch, wind and adrenaline pulsing through my veins and hair. I curse myself inside when he offers to take me for a spin. "It'll be fun. I promise I'm a good driver." I nod quickly like a child with a new toy and jump on, leaving any opportunity to escape in the wind that will soon blur behind me. I clutch his abdomen tightly, and I realize I'm not uncomfortable with him anymore. I met the man an hour ago, and now I'm on a transport of his own, letting him take me wherever he wants to go. Kas is just a nice man taking me for a spin, I think. He looks back at me with a grin. "Ready?" I nod again, a smile on my face so bright my cheeks hurt. I feel the wind in my hair and the freeness of my soul and mind. All my worries disappear with the cold air repressing my senses. I'm free, and I relish in the feeling, even if it'll disappear soon. I hand on to the feeling as hard as I can, and I don't let go.