Chapter 13

I spot Blayne first, outside of Deep Water Palace. There are castles made in every capital of each region. Whenever the Royal Court and the Royal Heirs to the throne come to visit, we stay there. Deep Water Palace is made with steel and ornate topaz stone, sitting on the coast, looking out onto water. I cross the drawbridge toward my brother, glancing back at the portcullis as Henrick walks under it. He catches sight of Henrick and I, giving us one of his famous grins. I smile at the sight of my brother, skipping over to him and hugging him. "You alright?" he asks. My head nods of it's own accord but his eyes narrow when he looks into my eyes. "You sure?" I shrug, looking at our shoes. He takes my hand when I start to pinch my skin, squeezing it. "Henrick! Long time since I've seen you. How are you?" Henrick smiles, patting Blayne's shoulder. Blayne hasn't let my hand go, not even to say hello the right way.

He reminds me of when we were younger. We constantly had to meet with other Council Children, and I couldn't control my fidgeting. Me fidgeting was one of the things my father used to beat me for. He took my hand, small and trembling then, and squeezed it to reassure me. He used to tell me not to let them see, that they didn't deserve to see it. That they needed to see me strong so they can't find something to use against me. I nodded, trying to put on a brave face. That night he snuck into my room with something called a cupcake. "Blayne, do they have cupcakes here?" He laughs, pulling me into an embrace. "You remember that huh?" I beam at him, looking out at the transports. "Of course I do." He plants a chaste kiss on my head, grabbing my hand again. "I can see if they have them here. I'll get the vanilla ones. Just the way you like them." Henrick glances between the two of us as he chuckles. "You two are still little children. Nothing can change that for anything." A snort comes from me and I gasp, placing a hand over my mouth. "Sorry." They throw their heads back in laughter and I smile. Small moments like this make this world some what easier to deal with. That's what pushes me to sit in the transport and watch as we drive towards the city auditorium, to present the new Queen to the people of the Empire.

The men look angrier, more exhausted than I expect. Usually they stay in their houses for safety from the judgement or being killed in crowds like this. The scowl on my face grows deeper as I see Evelyn smile and shake hands with the women. She's lying to them, lying to the world. The women flinch away from me as I walk past them and Henrick plasters on a wider smile. Their fury is one I've never seen before, causing tension to grow between my siblings and the crowd. This cannot continue. We are not our parents. I kneel to a woman holding her child, a beautiful girl, and I give her my kindest smile. She eyes me with fear, with caution, and I offer my hand. Everyone around her stares in shock, observing my every move. The mother takes it slowly and my smile widens. "You have a beautiful girl. What is your name?" The mom's eyes widen and her mouth opens and closes, sputtering words that don't make sense. She recovers, and I wait patiently for her to speak. "T-thank you. I'm Nora your majesty." I hold out my hands to the little girl and Nora lifts up her child, for fear I may do something to her if she refuses. The emotions swimming in her eyes change. She still has her fear, yes, but she has curiosity there as well, wonder. I can see what she's thinking. Why would someone of her class, have interest in someone like me, someone like us? The little girl has coiled curls, brown eyes as wide as saucers, and rosy cheeks.

The whole crowd has gone silent now and my siblings are watching me, Blayne with a small smile on his face, Evelyn confused, and Athena bored. Henrick stares at me with pride. I feel the little girl's heart in her chest, the fast rush of her blood through her veins. "You're a very beautiful girl. What's your name?" The little girl smiles and grabs my finger, her whole palm wrapping around my index. "Chloe." I nod, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear. "Chloe, never forget. No matter how many people tell you mean things, awful things, remember that you are beautiful, smart, and important." I pause. "No matter how awful people are to you, be the kindest you can be. Especially to the boys, okay?" She nods quickly, like I've given her the world's most important mission. "You'll do it for me?" Chloe holds out her pinky finger and I wrap my own pinky around hers. "I pinky promise, majesty." I laugh quietly, taking a ring off my finger and placing it discreetly in her palm. "Never forget okay?" Her arms hang around my neck and I pull away, reluctantly placing her back in her mother's embrace. "Thank you, your majesty," Nora whispers, tears in her eyes. I nod with a small smile, squeezing the mother's hand before continuing down the stage.