-𝟔- 𝖌𝖗𝖆𝖓𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖌𝖎𝖋𝖙

*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧

*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧

𝙁𝙍𝘼𝙉𝙆𝙇𝙔, 𝘼𝙐𝙍𝙀𝙇𝙄𝘼 𝙄𝙎 𝙋𝙐𝙕𝙕𝙇𝙀𝘿.

During the evening, she was called to abandon the occupier of her time (that being Lady Sierra; her official master) to tend to Master Lant's "urgent" request.

A frantic maid led her down a series of winding hallways and reinforced doors until they reached the dungeon near the basement of the Estate. Nudging Aurelia around one last corner, the maid hurried out of the intimidating place, leaving the silver-haired female planted to her spot with a frazzled mind.

Looking around, Aurelia found herself in a damp dark concrete space. She was surrounded by metal bars, and although she stood on the dominant side of the cell, she still felt entrapped.

Her eyes then landed on Master Lant Agriche. The man, tall and stiff, stood out starkly against the dark and dirty background. His crisp suit, slickened hair, and shiny shoes did not belong in the grimy dungeon.

Well, Aurelia though, that was debatable. Perhaps this environment suited him better than any other.

He wore a smug smirk, his eyes glinting as they trailed from her face to peek behind the metal bars that he stood in front of. The cell was like all the others that filled the dungeon; small, damp, and rank. However, when Aurelia's eyes poured into the darkness, the sight she witnessed sent a ripple of shock through her.

Aurelia has not set a foot out of the Agriche Estate for the last two decades. Nonetheless, the striking cool silver, almost transparent, locks could never be forgotten. The man cuffed to the wall of the cell, dirty and injured, was undoubtedly a member of the main Pedelain family.

"He's a Pedelain," Lant exclaimed, smugness threading his words. "Just like him. I promised you I would drag that bastard to you and make him beg on his knees for your forgiveness." And Lant's tone had turned sour.

Ah, her old master. Master Lant had a peculiar obsession with Aurelia's old employer. He had ordered her to forget about the man many months ago; stating that he, Lant Agriche, was her first and only master.

Truthfully, Aurelia hadn't fathomed the depth or the cause of Lant's irritation. The man could only trickle out of a tantrum if he shared his gruesome plan for Lucas Pedelain (a man he refused to associate with her name directly), so Aurelia never attempted to stop him. Honestly, the thought of Lucas suffering sparked joy within her as well.

However, despite his intricate strategies and enthusiasm, Master Lant never got to act on his plans.

"But that coward died peacefully on his bed."

Well, Aurelia wouldn't necessarily say Lucas' death was peaceful. From what she knew, he did die on his bed, but of a ruthless, painstakingly long, and tortuous illness that slowly filled his lungs with blood until he suffocated on his own life fluid. With a speck of shame, Aurelia would admit the news of Lucas' death called forth no sadness and only dull relief. The only regret she felt when reminiscing on her earlier years, was the family she left behind.

With no master, what would the maids do?

"...I brought you this bastard instead. He is not the man that hurt you, but he is still a Pedelain. Do to him what you please. He is yours."

Her master was completely insane. He had not only gifted her a human being but one of extremely high standing. This entire situation was beyond ludicrous. Yet, sanity was not something Aurelia expected to see exercised by the members of the Agriche family. Thus, she merely bowed her head and humbly thanked her master for a gift that felt more burdensome than enjoyable.

"I will have some tools prepared for you."

And with that, Lant Agriche turned and stalked away, a self-satisfied expression playing on his features. Baffled, and now away from the scrutinizing eye of her master, Aurelia could do nothing but stare blankly at the shivering, unconscious man in front of her.

What would she do with a man like that? Had she felt any urge to redirect her, by now nonexistence, rage, and contempt towards Lucas Pedelain at that man, she would feel much too intimated by his features to act on it. His silver hair was proof of his precious blood. However, the main Pedelain family was always described as having silver hair and yellow eyes. Aurelia had yet to see the man's eyes.

Perhaps, that is what adhered her feet to their position. She did not approach the man, nor did she speak to him, instead, she merely watched him. She was looking for something; what exactly she was looking for was beyond even her. She is curious about the color that was hidden by his lids, perhaps.

'But what if they are yellow.' Even if she were to confirm the general standing of the man, how would she act on that information? Realistically, what could she do? Master Lant's unawareness of the identity of his hostage is not a possibility. Paranio ensured that Lant Agriche was thorough in everything he did.

Thus, upon discovering the man's position, Aurelia would have to figure out how she should act around him. She would not be able to outrightly respect him in the presence of the Agriche family. Nor would that benefit her; once in the hold of Agriches, there was little possibility of survival — much less escape. Even knowing this, Aurelia knew she wouldn't be able to hurt the man either; the wrath of one of the Five Families was not something she was willing to take lightly.

But then, the man's eyes fluttered open. The shinning yellow that met her hazel eyes sent shockwaves down her system and stilled her rampant thoughts.

Turning her back to the injured man, Aurelia decided she hadn't gotten a clear look at the man's eyes. Or perhaps she did not know anything about the main family of the Pedelain family (despite working for a distant member of the main family for the majority of her childhood). She is clueless as to the identity and position of the man currently held captive by the family she worked for -- of the identity of her newly received gift.

She is completely naive; she always has been and she shall remain so.

*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧*✧

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄:

This is the first chapter in alignment with the conan of the manhwa! Yay! That means we're getting into the good stuff soon! This is a bit of a short chapter, but it marks the beginning of a new arc, of sorts. Also, thank you so much for all the love you've given to this story! I really appreciate it!