Chapter 3

Thorun

"Find out where this came from!" White hot pain radiated from my shoulder. I reached in and dug out the bullet, groaning as I made the agony worse. I handed the bullet to Pyrul, who had operated the trans-mat.

"You need a doctor." Pyrul sounded concerned. I was sure it wasn't as bad as all that. Just excruciating. The pain meant I was alive. In my experience, life-threatening injuries always hurt a lot less than minor ones like getting shot.

"M' fine." I didn't have the time to waste. "Get that analyzed."

"And your omega? She's vomited and passed out."

Oh, that was why my back felt wet? I lifted one of her feet and dropped it. Floppy.

"Fine. I'll go to the medical bay. For her."

I carried her through the ship and gave brief nods to the men and women who stopped their work to stand to attention in my presence. When I reached the medical bay, Doctor Soul didn't kowtow.

"You've been shot," he noted.

"Irrelevant. Here's my omega." I maneuvered her off my shoulder and onto a bed. A beta nurse dabbed a sponge against my shirt, attempting to clean it. There was such a thing as being too important. It got in the way of doing things.

"What's wrong with her?" the Doc asked.

"She passed out after trans-mat."

He sighed. "Did you tell her what to expect?"

Nope. "Of course."

"She's got trans-mat sickness. It would be just like you not to warn her before transporting."

"We were under fire."

Doctor Soul put a reassuring hand on my good shoulder. "I'll take care of her. In the meantime, you need to let Nurse Edel fix your shoulder."

I growled. Lesser alphas would have been intimidated into backing off. Soul stepped closer, one brow raised. I sighed and turned to the nurse.

"How fast can you do it?" I demanded.

She moved forward with something the size of a cigar and pressed a button. "You're fixed," she purred. I'd spent too much time amongst the humans, because I'd forgotten how fast minor injuries like primitive gunshot wounds could be healed.

I turned to Soul to explain. "Someone tried to shoot my omega. Twice."

"They've infiltrated Earth?" He looked as surprised as I was.

"Seems that way. We gotta retrieve as many of the omegas as we can. Fast."

"Are we staying in orbit?" Soul turned away for a moment while he took Jessie's vitals.

"No. I... uh... need to get her to safety." My face flared red for a moment.

"You claimed her?" Soul dropped his instruments and advanced, looking pissed.

"Not quite yet. We rutted, though."

"Better finish the job before someone else gets to her, then." Soul's voice was cold with a sharp edge.

Shit. I'd brought an unclaimed omega onto a ship full of alphas, none of whom had laid eyes on an omega for almost twenty-five years. I would mark her before someone else did.

"Now?" I don't know why I thought I needed his permission.

"Unhygienic. Do it in your own place."

"Sure. Just as soon as she wakes up. In the meantime, you're her keeper. Don't let anyone else near her. You can handle anyone on this ship."

"Except you."