Chapter Two

Moonkit felt someone prodding her roughly in the side. She grumbled, moving her forepaws over her eyes. "Go away..." The prodding continued after a moment of peace, and her eyes burst open.

"What?" She looked up, seeing a tom standing over her. The pale tabby coat and piercing icy gaze was unmistakable. "Oh, hello Brightkit..." Moonkit said with a sigh. "What's got you up so early?"

Brightkit didn't reply, but he asked, "What were you dreaming about?" Moonkit guessed she had spoken in her sleep. She thought about it, and answered. "Oh, nothing much... what did I say?" Brightkit backed off of her, and Moonkit sat up, beginning to lap at her chest fur.

"Something about birds." Moonkit nodded. "Well, I dreamt that Redkit had stolen my starling." This wasn't completely untruthful. She had indeed dreamt that Redkit had stolen something from her, though it was a moss ball rather than a bird. Just like every dream for the past moon, it had started out normal, and the images she had seen that one day just came flashing into the dream at random points.

"Oh. Does he steal? 'Cause I haven't seen my leaf in a while..." Moonkit shook her head. "No, that was just a dream." She smoothed her back fur, and added, "You know, you can find a new leaf. There's so many in camp." Brightkit scoffed. "Yeah, but those ones aren't yellow and green, and they don't have five points!"

What a bee-brain... Moonkit ignored his retort. "Where is Lightningstrike?" She stood all the way up and began to stretch her tired legs. "I think I saw her go outside with Featherdust."

"Mistlekit and Redkit?" Brightkit answered, "Outside, too." Moonkit nodded her thanks, walking out of the nursery entrance. She instantly caught sight of the toms demonstrating their flawed battle moves to Featherdust and Lightningstrike, who were sharing tongues in the shade.

"Have you tasted fresh-kill yet?" Brightkit asked from behind Moonkit, and she realized he had followed her with an annoyed huff. "Yeah, why?" She tried her hardest to be nice to him, though he really did irritate her sometimes. "Featherdust says I have to try it today. She says it's better than milk."

"It certainly tastes different, and it's good, but I wouldn't say it's better than milk." Moonkit told him, and he looked back into the den at his sleeping littermates. "Do you want to play a game? Those sleepy-mice don't usually wake up until sunhigh."

"Sure. What do you want to play?" Moonkit agreed, deciding there wasn't anything better for her to do. Brightkit looked lost, and asked quietly, "Well, what do you usually play?" Moonkit thought about it, and answered, "I used to put beetles in Tigercloud's nest, but she left the nursery a moon ago..."

"Is that why we find them in our nest every now and then?" Moonkit laughed. "Maybe. Do you want to put some in and wait for Icekit to see them?"

Brightkit's face scrunched up, and he shook his head. "No, let's do something fun." Moonkit looked at him in confusion. "I thought you asked me what I like to do!" Brightkit grinned mischievously. "Yeah, that was before I found out how lame your game was!"

Moonkit felt a stab of annoyance, but rolled her eyes. "Okay, then, why don't you hide a leaf somewhere and I look for it, since you like leaves so much." Brightkit furrowed his brows. "You're on! You'll never find it!"

The pale tabby bounded away, and called back, "No peeking!" when he noticed she was watching him leave. Moonkit turned pointedly away, and approached the queens and her brothers.

"So, what's going on with Brightkit?" Featherdust asked, and Moonkit told her about the leaf game. "Sounds fun..." the fluffy queen looked at Lightningstrike with a purr, "When I was a kit, I once hid nettles in Brackenheart's fresh-kill..." The queen looked rather nostalgic in that moment, and then a sort of sad-amused mixture. "I got in loads of trouble with Fadetail for that. Brackenheart wouldn't talk to me for a moon!"