Chapter Five

A moon had passed since Moonpaw had told Brightpaw and Mistlepaw about her visions. Brightpaw had taken it even better than Mistlepaw, though she could hardly believe that was possible.

Now she and the tom sat, awaiting Ashfall's announcement of who was to go to this night's gathering. Moonpaw began to work her claws in the dirt restlessly. Ashfall was finalizing the list of names with Stormstar, she guessed, as the toms' heads were pressed together and they spoke in a whisper.

Moonpaw wondered if the Great Oak would be as, well, great as the name implied. Sedgewhisker had told her that it was almost as big as the Sky Oak, but Moonpaw had her doubts.
"I hope we get to go." Brightpaw murmured, and Moonpaw nodded her agreement, keeping her gaze locked onto the ginger-and-grey tabby who now faced the clan, showing that he was about to speak.

"The following cats are to attend this night's gathering." Ashfall called, and every cat's ears pricked forward to listen. Everyone seemed to be hoping their names would be called. "Hollyberry, Sedgewhisker, Cherrysong, Fognose, Mintflower, Oakwind, Lightningstrike, Hopleaf, Pinetail, Moonpaw, Brightpaw,"
Brightpaw and Moonpaw shared ecstatic smiles as Ashfall mentioned their names, "Icepaw, Mistypaw, and Tornpaw." Moonpaw looked irritably over her shoulder at the giant black apprentice. His smug expression drove her mad— it's as if he thought he was so special that he was just bound to go to the gathering!

Stormstar nodded his thanks to Ashfall, speaking himself, "We will depart at moonrise. Everyone who hasn't eaten who is also going to the gathering should eat something before we go."
Moonpaw felt her stomach rumble audibly, and her mouth salivated at the thought of chowing down on a nice plump starling. "But first," Moonpaw frowned, disappointed at Stormstar interruption, "I am going to name a new warrior."

Koipaw sat up, looking hopeful. Moonpaw assumed it would be her, since the fluffy calico has been waiting almost a moon. It would be rather odd if it wasn't— every other apprentice was younger than her, as far as Moonpaw knew. As she had expected, Stormstar called Koipaw to the front of the clan.

"I call upon my warrior ancestors to look down onto this apprentice. She has worked hard to learn the ways of your noble code, and commend her a warrior in turn. Koipaw, do you promise to uphold the Code, and defend your clan with your life?"
The fluffy she-cat nodded eagerly. "I do."
"Then you will now be known as Koistream. StarClan honors your shining personality and masterful hunting skills." The clan shouted her name, and Moonpaw tried her best to be the loudest. She hadn't ever been close to Koistream, but she was glad that she was finally a warrior and able to be with Pinetail. The two were the same age, but title had kept them apart for the past moon.

Moonpaw felt her pads tingle with longing to be up there receiving her own name. She sighed, wondering just how a leader could make that decision. It seemed impossible to pick a right name— after all, that would be what they were called for the rest of their warrior lives, and there were so many options!
"Don't forget to eat!" Stormstar called, "Clan dismissed!" Moonpaw scattered towards the fresh-kill pile, mouth watering as she picked out a perfectly in-tact starling.

She began to pluck the feathers with her teeth, taking mouthfuls of the juicy pink meat. She didn't dare waste any time talking to Brightpaw, who seemed to have the same idea— the quicker they ate, the sooner they'd leave.
Swallowing her last morsel, Moonpaw sprung to her feet, waiting almost impatiently for Brightpaw to chew his gamy-looking squirrel. "Done!" The tom gasped, and the pair rushed to join the gaggle of cats standing around Stormstar beside the camp's exit.

"Is everyone present?" The great white leader asked, looking around. Ashfall did the same, then nodded as Cherrysong hurried over. Everyone took a moment to make sure their faces were clear of blood, and then they departed.