Chapter Four

The moon began to set on the night of the gathering, Stormstar leading ThunderClan back into camp with an irritated growl.

Moonpaw hadn't been allowed to go, as her shoulder wasn't quite healed enough. She had been disappointed to find this out, but she was also relieved that she wouldn't have to hobble all the way to the RiverClan border.

Besides, Moonpaw had told herself, This means Brightpaw should be an apprentice when we go to the next gathering.

Brightkit and Moonpaw had been sharing a rather obese squirrel when the patrol returned. "Stormstar looks upset about something." Brightkit commented, and Moonpaw had to agree.

"So does Ashfall... so we know it wasn't over nothing." The deputy's face bore an expression of grave concern. "What do you think happened?" Brightkit inquired, and Moonpaw shrugged.

"I suppose we're about to find out." She said as Stormstar leapt onto the High-ledge, the rest of the patrol gathering in front of him.

Brightkit sat up beside Moonpaw, and when Stormstar called, "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the High-ledge for a clan meeting," Mistlepaw sat on her other side.

Once the clan had bunched together in the center of camp, Stormstar began to describe the details of the night's gathering.

"At the gathering RiverClan reported a fire on their territory." Stormstar began, his claws curling on the rock. "Two of their warriors died— Darknight and Doeshadow."

Moonpaw had never seen a fire herself, but she could imagine the burning trees, the falling ash, the stinging smog. Brightkit and her exchanged glances, and looked back to their leader.

"WindClan have also seen numerous rats on the moors. Palestar said they were larger than average, and that they smelled very ill."

Moonpaw hadn't dreamt of anything strange in a while, but the news sent flashing images of rats back into her mind.

Stormstar began pacing. "The rats were said to be headed towards RiverClan territory, so we should be safe from them for now."

The white tom stopped in his tracks, making eye contact with Moonpaw briefly. "Sootstar apologizes for Vicetooth's violence on our patrol, but she asked me to warn ThunderClan not to anger her warriors."

Moonpaw heard the clan murmur and some growl, though most seemed not to care too much about ShadowClan. The news of rats and fire seemed to be far more important.

"To keep ThunderClan strong, we will name three new warriors and three new apprentices." Stormstar must be really worried to name three warriors and three apprentices in one ceremony! Moonpaw looked excitedly at Brightkit. He had to be one of them!

Brightkit smiled back, beginning to groom his soft pelt so he would look presentable. Stormstar's blue gaze scanned the clan as he paused to catch his breath— the cold night air probably didn't help his frantic breathing.

"Pinepaw, Whorlpaw, and Cypresspaw, step forward." Moonpaw tucked her tail against her body, sitting taller so she could see the dark colored cats approach Stormstar.

"I call upon my warrior ancestors to look down onto these apprentices. They have worked hard to understand the ways of your noble code, and I commend them warriors in return."

He placed his attention on Pinepaw, whose ringed tail was puffed out nervously. "Pinepaw, you will now be known as Pinetail. StarClan honors your incredible strength and promise of greatness."

Pinetail ran his tongue over Stormstar's shoulder, sitting back down as the leader addressed Cypresspaw. "You will now be known as Cypressfur. StarClan honors your impressive hunting abilities."