i've wanted to do this for so long

It's Midsummers, and I can't see Pope anywhere. He should be here. He's always here. I'm waiting tables to help pay for my bail money, and I'm honestly feeling pretty good in my waiter's uniform. I hope Pope think so too. 

"JJ!" I hear Pope yell. He runs towards me and hugs me tight. "You shouldn't have down that man," he whispers into my ear. "You really shouldn't have."

"For once in your life, trust someone else okay?"

"I love you," he whispers.

My heart starts beating really fast. Does he love me as a friend? Friends say I love you all the time, don't they?

I pull away.

"Hey love you too man," I say. Taking the chance, I kiss his cheek.

"Gotta go, catch you later." I get back to my job.

I'm handing out drinks when Rafe walks up to me.

"Nice of you to take the fall for your boyfriend," he smirks.

"Pope's not my boyfriend," I say, my voice shaking. 

"I dunno mate, you seemed to enjoy kissing his cheek."

That's when I punch him. And that's when I lose my job.

_

It's raining when I hear a knock on the door.  I'm praying Rafe hasn't decided to come back for revenge, but when I open the door, I see Pope. He's soaking wet, and his shirt sticks to his muscles, something I shouldn't be noticing but I still do.

"Hey," I say. "You ok?'

"You shouldn't have taken the fall for me man."

"Yes. I should've. It's done now and I owe a ton of money, but it's worth it." For you. I almost add, but I stop myself.

"I'll pay you back every cent," Pope says.

"No. You don't have to."

"I can't let you ruin your life."

"What if I want to."

"You know what? I'm done. I'm sick of you always acting like this." 

"Pope-"

He's already walking down the road. I race after him.

"Pope."

I grab him and turn him around to face me, our faces inches apart.  I can see the raindrops on his long eyelashes. His huge, beautiful eyes stare into mine as I grab his face and kiss him. I can taste the rain on his lips as I kiss him harder, and he doesn't pull away. Instead, he runs his hands through my hair. When I finally pull away, he says.

"You have no idea how long I've waited to do that."

"Me too."