• 1

Rukmini
Her Son, Pradyumna

The ever resounding Dwarka now lay silent. Upon the shoreline, from the vantage point of the chamber, Rukmini saw the waves slowly moving as if just to fulfill the responsibility of flowing.

The flower decorations were getting removed by the people of Dwarka, as it had dried and pale, drained of colours just like the Queen of the Kingdom.

Rukmini, the ever smiling Queen now stood near the window looking at nothing in particular, her thoughts wandering about her eldest son, her Pradyumna.

He was her first born, the one who had become the apple of everyone's eyes in just 2 months. Her Pradyumna, who's face beamed with courage and bravery.

The daughter of Bhishmaka dreamt of how she would nurture her child since her pregnancy, but destiny had something else stored for her.

Nothing is more painful than getting separated by our loved ones. But the incarnation of Lakshmi had to face and overcome the pain in each of her incarnations as Sita in Thretha Yuga and now Rukmini in Dwapara Yuga.

Pradyumna was lost, kidnapped the very evening he got his name. The valiant warrior's mother who had put him to sleep and been to have her lunch later collapsed to find out her son missing.

It was unbelievable and she had been searching, running in and out of the palace corridors, up and down the stairs in her heavy saree and jewels.

She didn't sit for a second that day and kept on running, searching with a small smile, a small hope that she would see her son. She would hug him, kiss him, cuddle him and keep him close to her.

She still remember calling out to him,

"Look, I know you are your father's son, naughty and mischievous just like him. But putra, come back to your maata. All are saying that you are lost but I know you would be hiding somewhere here and teasing me. Come putra Pradyumna!"

But her world shook from beneath hearing him, her only ray of hope, her husband say those dreadful words, which were echoing in her even to this moment.

"Vaidharbhi, Pradyumna is lost. You will not find him here."

He had screamed that day, for the first time. He had screamed in agony. He had tears in his eyes but didn't let it out. He didn't smile, he didn't cry. His face was devoid of any emotions. That twinkling eyes that she had drowned in was missing. The Almighty Lord had gone down, emotionally drained.

That was the moment she cried for the second time after she wedded him. The first time was of happy tears, when Pradyumna was born, when she smiled through her tears seeing her son cry.

And the second time was that moment, she realised that the sun had set not just in the nature, but in her life as well. That was the moment, when she cried like no one, letting her emotions out and failing to be in concious, let her body collapse to her husband's shoulder.

A small tear dared to escape her lotus eyes.

Rukmini was involving in every activity of the Kingdom, not giving herself a moment of rest. That morning, she had been to rounds in Dwarka with Satyabhama, trying to divert herself. But again she sunk into the thoughts of her son when she noticed how the children of the subjects played in joy.

She tried not to cry, but still the pearls of tears always managed to escape her eyes.

"Vaidharbhi."  she heard a call from the door.

She didn't require to turn around and see who the person is because she knew who the voice belonged to and only he had the right to call her Vaidharbhi. No one else called her that.

"Yes?" She turned and nodded not before wiping her tears in hurry, trying to put up a smile.

"Did you write the letter which is to be sent to the Kingdom of Avanti?" Krishna asked, trying to put up a brave front.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she answered, "Yes and that's in your hands only." she pointed to the oceanic blue coloured letter that Krishna held in his hands.

Tears brimmed Vaasudeva's eyes and he turned to leave murmuring, "Fine."

Noticing the tears, she stopped him.

"Arya, is there any mistake in the letter. Let me check." she walked forward to take the letter from him.

"No Vaidharbhi. I told it's fine right. Nothing's there." Madhava managed to say, hiding the letter behind his back.

"No, your actions are not saying the same. I will check it once quickly." She narrowed her eyes and grabbed the letter to his disappointment.

She started reading with a small smile as Govind sat on the nearby couch, head hung low.

Her smile soon disappeared as she continued to read the letter. She had messed it up, completely.

The letter was to be sent to the King of Avanti as to check his mother's ailment. But the person she had written the letter was for Pradyumna.

The body of the letter read the enquiry of his health, asking him to come back soon to his parents as they miss him dearly.

She fell on the floor with a thud, crying.

"Vaidharbhi." Krishna ran to her as he cupped her face in his palms.

"Forget all this. We, we will go to the ashrama nearby. We will meet the sages and stay there for a while. Forget the Kingdom and everything. We will stay there untill we find solace. Then we can come back to Dwarka."

Bhaishmi wiped her tears as she let out a sarcastic chuckle, "Then we can never come back, arya. Because our peace now lies in our son's wellbeing. Until he comes back, this will not end."

***
So, this was the first of the One Shot Collection.
I hope you all liked it. Do share your reviews.

| Vote • Comment • Share • Follow |

Bhuvi