• 2

Shatrughna
Every moment, special memories

Years passed, but the tinge of fury and sadness in the hearts of subjects of Ayodhya didn't erase.

No one could forget that day, the day of the coronation of their beloved prince Rama how they had been joyful about it. But the events took a sharp turn after Rama decided to go to the forest so as to complete the owe his father had made to his second wife, Kaikeyi.

Kaikeyi. The name which used to exhasparate Shatrughna. Though his anger had reduced a bit by the advice of his elder sisters-in-law, and wife, it had not been completely subsided.

He used to spend his days in the affairs of the Kingdom and did all he could do to make the citizens of the Kingdom happy. He missed his family, where they all laughed, teased and supported each other, but now it had become just memories.

Kaushalya used to spend her time in the temple praying for the safety of her sons and eldest daughter-in-law, Kaikeyi had desolated herself and his mother. His mother Sumitra, besides all the misery, would have a smiling face and supported the broken family with the daughters-in-law of Suryavansha.

The years had been tough for Shatrughna. Many nights he spent without sleeping and days would fly without him having food. He had been both physically and mentally drained.

Shatrughna sat down next to the window in his and Shruthakirti's chamber, smiling at the thought of memories.

He loved his Kaikeyi maa with whom he and Lakshmana had spent most of their childhood. He, especially was attached to her a lot and believed in her. But he had not thought that such a day would come when he didn't wanted to see her shadow too.

His twin, Lakshmana who always teased him and made fun of him. He would get annoyed by Lakshmana's pranks but now he is craving for it.

Bharata, his dearest brother is living in Nandigrama owing not to step into Ayodhya until and unless Rama comes back. He tried his level best to pacify him and pleaded Bharata to come back but he sticked to his decision.

All he has now is a broken family, trying to mend the cracks between them but it had been just patch works. Nothing had settled down.

He remembered the words his Gurudev Vasishta had told on their first day. Trust is like a glass vase.

Vasishta didn't give any explanation to it but now Shatrughna understood what his statement meant. Both trust and glass, once broken, it will never be the same ever.

Suddenly, he felt a warm hand on his shoulder. The warmth, he was in need everytime. The warmth which pushed his tensions away. Shruthakirti.

He turned around and saw her tired face but still managing a small smile. He wondered how the ladies of the palace smiled besides all the problems they were facing.

Shruthakirti replied, "Everything can't be left to drown. We have to pick up and move forward without sinking and for that one needs each other help. And according to me, for a person, a smile from their beloved's are the greatest motivation."

"Did I say it aloud?" He asked getting surprised by her answer.

Shruthakirti chuckled and nodded her head positively.

Shruthakirti sat next to him as Shatrughna said, "Kaikeyi maa feels guilty of her actions and she has begged for forgiveness. But, my mind always puts me in fix. My heart melts when I see her crying and sitting all alone, but my mind orders me to recall about what she did to brother Rama."

"She didn't do anything to brother Rama but the destiny made her do so. Just believe that everything happens for good." She smiled.

"Brother Bharata. I miss him. We. We never were separated. But now, the situation we are in." He sobbed.

Shruthakirti looked down. She herself was not stable, she missed the old times. But still, she said, "We cannot blame the situation. It's of no use."

"Kirti." He said wiping the tears. "Go get some sleep. Let's go to Nandigrama with mata. They would want to meet agraja.

"You?" Shruthakirti asked her eyes waiting to droop.

"I will soon. You go." He replied smiling.

Shatrughna shut the door behind him and walked through the silent and lone corridors of Ayodhya palace.

"Agraja! He pranked me again."

Shatrughna smiled as he smiled. This was the very corridor on Bharata's birthday that his twin Lakshmana had pranked him. He had hid the surprise gift he had planned and was teasing him all morning.

"Shatru, you had scared me so much!"

He was now standing at the entrance. He had been to the fair to buy a pair of wooden swords that Lakshmana had set his eyes on. But he had not told anyone about it which had worried his family.

He moved past the practicing arena and smiled. His compliment from brother Rama.

"My brother, you have learnt a lot. My youngest brother has grown a lot!"

The days were memorable, each and every pillar of the palace held a beautiful memory. He wished the memories would soon turn to present times.

"Just one year more. One year!" He whispered to himself smiling.

***
The second part of the collection. About the silent hero of Ramayana.

I hope you liked it. Do share your views. Criticism welcomed.

| Vote • Comment • Share • Follow |

Bhuvi