Ch. 13: Gallifrey

[A/N: Spoilers from the Timeless Children Episode]

I didn't know how long I stayed alone in that room. It could have been a few hours or an entire day. My fingers played with my locket while I sat there. I thought a lot about the Doctor while I was sitting here as well as the deeper glance I had gotten into my dreams from the drug induced rest. The sound of feet moving across the rough floor caught my attention.

"I know you are out there lurking," I called out looking towards the exit. The dark laugh of the Master was the response I got.

"Not lurking, waiting," he corrected stepping into view.

"Whatever you say," I muttered watching as he paced around the room. He had a pompous attitude as if he was king of the universe. The sound of voices filled the room as he grinned.

"She's here," he grinned before skipping from the room leaving me to sit on the floor. I would get up and try to run but again he'd kill me and make the Doctor watch. My hand gripped a sharp rock. The rock was the only thing I had to defend myself with when the Master finally returned. I was less safe with the Doctor here, the Master would hurt me to hurt her.

When the Master stepped into the room the Doctor was just behind him. I stayed in the corner of the room observing the Doctor. She was scared and sad. Her hazel eyes surveyed the ruins of the Citadel. The Master just mocked her about his plans for the broken building including a torture chamber. When he mentioned the torture room his eyes had drifted to me. A chill ran up my spine as his dark eyes analyzed me like a predator. His gaze returned to the Doctor with a smirk on his lips.

"Of course I'll need a pet to keep me entertained. Maybe one of those you discarded," he said sadistically before rushing over pulling me up. His arm wrapped around my waist holding me tightly against his body while the Doctor's eyes widened. "You certainly did a number on this one. You should have seen how broken she was when I found her on Earth." I squirmed in his hold but couldn't get loose. "She was so lonely she let an absolute stranger into her life. Told me everything."

"Riley," the Doctor murmured her hazel eyes drifting over me with concern.

"I'm fine," I said firmly avoiding the pained look in her eyes.

"Oh but we both know that's not true love," the Master mocked. "I love her and I don't think I have ever loved anyone before." He said repeating my words from yesterday to the Doctor. "Couldn't convince her to stay even after spending months getting to know her."

"What can I say, I have good taste," I spat as he shifted his grip from my waist to my neck holding me tightly. His hold made it slightly more difficult to breathe but I met his eyes with fury in mine to mask the fear. The Doctor rushed towards us her feet standing on the light in the middle of the room. The Master hit a button on his device trapping her on the light. She winced struggling to get free but couldn't.

"Let her go. You can have me just please don't hurt her," the Doctor pleaded with him. The Master let go of my neck leaving me rubbing my throat while the Master stalked up to the platform.

"But I already have you," he said wickedly without a hint of remorse. I stared up at the Master and the Doctor my blue eyes trying to come up with the best course of action but nothing seemed likely to work. Sure, I had a rock but he was a Timelord would a rock actually be enough to knock him out?

"If our history means anything to you please. Save my friends and don't hurt Riley," she begged her eyes filled with hope as he stared her down his face serious.

"Appealing to my better nature. We both know I don't have one," he said simply. "I'm not going to save your friends from the Cybermen and Riley isn't leaving my side. Finally got the thing you want most and I don't plan on letting it go." With that he strode back to me taking a painful grip on my wrist. "It's time for you to learn the truth Doctor and our history does mean something! It's the pain in my hearts." I watched as the Doctor's eyes rolled back in her head as she passed out, the energy field being the only thing keeping her on her feet.