Chapter 4

The night ended up ending early due to Louis receiving an 'urgent' phone call from his mother that turned out to really just be an invite to his sister's dance recital. Louis is %90 that Liam orchestrated it just to get out of playing their game with the styles brothers. They left immediately after eating, heading back home with Zayn trying to settle Louis in the back while Liam directed them home from the driver's seat.

"You alright babes?" Zayn leaned in and put his hand on Louis' thigh.

"Seething," was the only reply Zayn got in turn.

"That's understandable sweetheart, the 3 of us will talk when we get home yeah?"

"Like hell if that prick thinks I'm talking to him right now!"

"What prick?" Liam chimes in from the front, looking at both of the boys from the rearview mirror.

"Are you serious right now?" Louis asks in his tone of voice that is so calm it's seriously frightening.

"You're talking about Edward right? What an ass!" Liam says seriously, pulling the range rover farther into the curb parking in front of his and Louis' building.

Louis angrily unstraps his seatbelt and nudges Zayn's hand off of his thigh. He unlocks his own door and jumps out of the vehicle before Liam had even gotten the vehicle in park. Zayn just shakes his head at Liam and proceeds to call and follow after Louis.

Louis makes his way into his apartment and throws his shoes in the corner before proceeding to the flats kitchen and breaking into the liquor cabinet. He pulls down a bottle of patron and lines up a shot before seeing Zayn watching him.

"You really shouldn't do that babes."

"I need- I- something. I need something before I flip shit. He doesn't even see why I'm angry. He was awful the entire dinner and now I feel shit about me-self." Louis' eyes start tearing up but he quickly brings his hand to his face to angrily swipe the tears away from his tear ducts before they can fall down his flushed cheeks.

"I know bub, he's being a right ass and you can do whatever you want. You're allowed to feel however you need to." Zayn tells Louis but his actions seem to contradict his words because he steps in behind Louis and tosses his shot in the sink and grabs the bottle away from Louis to put back in the cabinet.

"Zayn wh-" But Louis gets cut off by Liam coming into the room and walking over to Louis in an attempt to snake his arm around his brother's waist. Louis just moves away from Liam as if his very presence is repulsing.

"Louis- seriously what's wrong? I'm just trying to help." Liam attempts to approach Louis again. Louis just avoids his touch, angry tears successfully making it down his cheeks.

Louis violently shakes his head and sighs.

"I need a smoke." Louis says, directing the statement towards Zayn before making his way out of the kitchen and towards his room to smoke off of his balcony.

"What's his deal?" Liam askes throwing his arm out in the direction Louis just walked off too.

"You know how his ex treated him.. How could you do that? He hasn't so much as looked at anyone but you and I in years. And the second he might be interested in someone you dangle the one thing he's wanted but can't have right in front of his face. You've already turned him down once and I had to coax him back into talking to you. Your being harsh Liam- you made him feel unwanted and you used him in order to fit your own agenda."

"That- that wasn't my intention."

" It doesn't matter what your intention was. You shouldn't have brought it up. You should've talked to me about it first of all and it wasn't an appropriate conversation to have in a stranger's house. You should be happy for him, he's finally moving on."

"But- they were flirting with him and giving bedroom eyes- it was."

"It was what Liam? Why do you care? You've made it very clear in the past that you don't want him in the same way that he wants us. He's finally getting over it. The brothers seem nice and if Louis wants to do some harmless flirting I don't see what's wrong with it."

"But- he's ours,"

"He's not- we- I- I lost the opportunity to be that with him because of you and now we've lost the opportunity to ever show him how special he is. And that's on you, you're just gonna have to live with the decision you've made for all of us." Zayn lays it all out for Liam.

"Zee, I'm sorry but- but I made a mistake okay? It can't- He can't. We can still try, right? With him I mean- I didn't mean to separate you guys. I know you love him. I love him.."

"We have to love him enough to let him go." Liam's face instantly drops and tears start to well in his eyes. Zayn knows he should stay and comfort Liam but instead he chooses to walk away before he can make things worse.

"I'm gonna go check on him." And then Zayn leaves in search of Louis.

......

Louis is in his bed trying to stop his thoughts from catching fire. He feels the bed dip and an arm wrap around his shoulder, he instantly knows it's Zayn. Zayn tugs at Louis' body bringing him down into his chest and cuddles him. Louis sighs and allows himself to be comforted.

"I'm sorry Bub."

"Me too amore."

They fall asleep like that. Both dreaming of what could've been and accepting fate.

....

They wake up a few hours later both tired and unwilling to move.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Zayn asks, rubbing his hand up and down Louis back and running his other hand through his hair.

"Not really."

"Well that's okay. Are you excited about Harry's album?"

"Yeah.. I think I just need something to focus on. A project you know?"

"I do know-"

"I'm just pissed at Li- you know, he fucked up bad and I am just so pissed. What does he even want me to do? I can't just be alone for the rest of my life?! I've tried everything- you know? Louis starts to cry, staying tight in Zayn's arms.

"I've tried everything. I got with Christian who abused me for over a year and I stayed, I stayed because I didn't want Liam to be mad or get the wrong idea, I wanted to get over him and I tried, I'm still trying. I stay with a guy for years, I sleep around, I cut Liam out of my life. I pretend to be fine when really I'm dying inside, and all for what? For Liam to talk shit? And- I- I lost you to him, and it fucking hurts. It hurts so fucking bad. And then I attempt to talk to a hot guy and he verbally slaps me in the face. I just can't do it anymore. I- I need to move out. I can't be here with him anymore it just hurts too fucking much."

"Move in with me then. Don't cut everyone out Louis." Zayn offers.

"I- I can't live with you and have you treat me like I'm your whole world, be cuddled and coddled by you and not get to have you. I just- I need some time and I need some space from the whole thing. I think it's time to be on me own." Zayn just pulls him in tighter, trying to be reassuring and supportive but it takes everything in him to not plead him to stay. Zayn just holds him as they both silently cry to themselves.

...

"He's leaving! Are you happy now? He's leaving!" Zayn storms into Liam's room, still crying and still angry. Liam instantly makes eye contact and jumps off of the bed to draw Zayn into him.

"He's leaving and I can't tell him to stay because he is suffering with us and he needs space. I can't beg him to stay and love us because all I want is for him to be happy and we can't give him that! I hope you're happy Liam because you may have just lost both of us."

"Zee- No." Liam tries, tears dripping on his cheeks. Pleading for Zayn to listen and to stay with his eyes.

"No, I- just give me some space. I'm going home and I'm taking Louis with me. I'll call in a few days."

And there Liam stays, frozen in his room knowing that he is left alone in this big, cold and empty penthouse while the man he loves walks away.