Recognition

A couple months later officers were lined up in dress uniforms outside in the bright sunshine. Rows of chairs were set up to one side with civilian family members. Will sat in one of those chairs with a proud smile on his face. Standing in the front row of the officers were the intelligence department facing a stage. Sergeant Voight stood at the end of the row in his dress uniform. Deputy Superintendent Samantha Miller was at the microphone and looked out into the crowd.

"Thank you all for joining us today to honor some outstanding police officers who put their lives on the line every day they come to work. They are being recognized for various awards of service and hard work." Miller addressed the crowd with a reverent tone.

"I asked if I could present the first award because if it wasn't for this particular officer I would not be alive today. Expert Marksman, War Veteren and part of the elite intelligence team. This officer regularly puts the people of Chicago and his dedication to the cases he works above his own life, health and safety. Two months ago a sniper was murdering high ranking women in the legal system and took me hostage. When negotiations did not work this detective fired an unbelievable shot that prevented the offender from killing me and setting off a massive bomb. All the while, this detective was fighting through pain and sickness caused by a ruptured appendix. Now this may not have been enough for me to give this award on its own but when I started looking into this detective's file I realized that this was not out of character. He continues to push through every obstacle to solve whatever case he is working on. That includes physical injuries, continued exposure to horrific gruesome cases and violent offenders. And all with an attitude of teamwork, sense of duty and honour. I present to Detective Jay Halstead the Superintendent's Award of Valor." A wave of applause erupted as the Deputy Superintendent went down the stairs of the stage and Jay stepped forward from the line. They saluted and Miller leaned in to pin the award to his jacket.

"I know you don't think you deserve this but you really do. I expect I'll be giving all the members of the intelligence team many more awards as I continue to watch you work. Thank you for your service and for saving my life." Miller whispered as she pinned his jacket. When she was finished she stepped back and he saluted her again. Jay stepped back into the line.

Later at Molly's the intelligence team sat around a table with drinks. They had changed out of their dress uniforms and back into their regular clothes.

"We'll since you are a bigshot now, I think you need to buy the drinks tonight." Kevin punched Jay's shoulder playfully.

"Well, we're pretty darn proud of you. Trudy called ahead, this round is on her." Hermann set down a platter of drinks. He shook Jay's hand before taking the empty tray back to the bar.

"Seriously, I'm pretty embarrassed." Jay rubbed his forehead and took a sip of his drink.

"Jay, some day you are going to realize how hard you work and learn to accept the compliment." Voight squeezed his shoulder before holding up his glass. They clinked drinks before sitting back to enjoy the calm before the storm.