1

"Ultimately, your brother will be fine. He did suffer a concussion, so you'll want to let him rest a lot."

We're at the hospital. We were walking back to our apartment from the movies, when we found someone passed out in a pool of blood. We called 911, and George did his best to keep them alive. We've been waiting to see if they're alright.

I nod. "Thank you. Are they awake?"

"Yes. You can go in."

George stomps past me. He hates this hospital. But when we found that person on the sidewalk, we had to get help fast. George is furious, because he's almost positive that they aren't male. He's "good at that stuff." His words.

"I knew it." He announces as I walk into the room. "They're nonbinary."

George is my twin brother. We don't look similar, though. He has frizzy red hair cut short, and round glasses perched on his freckled nose.

I have copper red hair, and dark brown eyes.

He's chirpy and friendly, and has his nails painted rainbow colors, and his wrists adorned with bracelets.

I, on the other hand, look boring.

I sit in one of the chairs by the bed. "Are you okay?"

"I'm...fine..."

"What's your name?"

"La-Um. Blair. Yeah. Blair."

Blair is smaller than George is, and much thinner. They're pale and have unruly light blond hair that falls past their shoulders. They look sick.

"Alright. I'm Fred. This is my brother, George."

"Like...Harry Potter..?"

"Yeah." We get that a lot. "We found you on the sidewalk downtown. What happened?"

"Oh...I...I got jumped. Is my bag gone?"

"There wasn't anything with you when we found you." I tell him.

"But you can stay with us-" George starts.

"What?"

"We have room, Fred."

"Our jobs are barely paying rent."

"I have a job." Blair says. "But...no money right now. But if you'll let me stay with you, I'll pay you back. I promise."

George gives me a pleading look. I purse my lips.

"Fine. You have nowhere to stay?"

"No...My friend kicked me out."

"You can stay with us for a while." I sigh.

George spends the next twenty minutes talking to Blair, while I try to figure out how much this hospital bill will cost. I'll have to do double shifts to save up money again, and maybe ask our father for a loan, which I hate doing.

But George isn't usually this happy. So it's worth it.

I go to the desk to pay the bill, and fill out papers. About fifteen minutes later, they're letting us take Blair home.

I can see how frail they really are as George helps them to the car. They look starved. I have a feeling they aren't telling us the truth, but I'll wait to let them tell us.

George sits in the back with Blair, and I start the car. "We're going to pick up some food first, okay?" I tell them.

We can't afford to buy food right now, but George works at a cafe where he can get free food.

"Okay." They say quietly. They're curled against the door, looking out the window. George is typing on his phone-probably texting Lune.

I make a mental list of things they'll need.

Food, clothes, a haircut, a place to sleep...