Leaving No Frills

11-Aug, 2021

Word got out that I am leaving No Frills. I was glad, because I didn't want to have to tell anyone. It's weird, but I was freaking out over how self-absorbed someone would have to be to make sure that everyone knew she was leaving and its entirely ridiculous because if any of my coworkers were leaving, I would be super offended that they hadn't bothered to let me know.

So, Mary N. came over to me at the end of her shift, bought milk, said all kinds of nice stuff, and came around the back of my till. "Now, don't make me cry," she said, and opened her arms wide. I didn't hesitate, cause Mary is awesome and I love her, and we hugged for at least five seconds. When we parted, we each had moist eyes, and I handed her her receipt.

Brenda called me her friend, referencing the Meter Reader and No Friends incident, and said I wasn't allowed to go, and gave me a hug then and there. She's so sweet too.

Debbie came over and asked if the rumours were true. I said they were, and she said she was going to miss me, and put a hand on my arm awkwardly. I opened my arms, and she walked right into them. I guess I had never picked her out as a hugger, but when she let go, she asked which shift I was working next, then said she'd come to collect another hug then.

13-Aug, 2021

Brenda called me to her till and gave me a sweet card. Attached to the note was a little golden cherub pin. I thanked her and would have hugged her again were it not for the customers that were blocking her in her till. I got back to my traffic station and attached the pin to the right side of my No Frills sweater. I later realized that my heart is on my left side, and switched it to there.

You know, she used to used with the families of those terminally ill. I actually kept her till free as much as I could when she was talking to people, because everyone's happier after a talk with Brenda.

Debbie honoured her promise, and I got another hug before she left. She said she'd really miss me, and I responded likewise.

The cynical part of my brain wants me to stop crying and address the fact that all of my sentences are compound, and most get a comma to make them even more identical. But who cares right now.

Mary Clark had these last few days off, so I didn't get to say bye to her. I mean, it's not like I'm dying, but still. It's the death of the relationship I have with these people. I'll go grocery shopping for sure, but it won't be the same.

14-Aug, 2021

Today started off well and good. I was u-scan, Shelby got there at 10 to do traffic, and Maddie was a floating override, so it was a lot less hassle than last week. I sang my modified Think of Me under my breath many times as I have the last several days.

The guy from meat (it's so bad that I don't know his name, but he doesn't talk much, but he's always good on calls) came through the till, buying stuff before he left for home. He walked past me with his bag, and instead of just saying, "Enjoy the rest of your day," like I usually do, I said (as platonic as possible), "Hey, I seen your beard while you were on break today. It suits your face really well. I really like it." He grinned under his mask, surprised, and thanked me. It was kinda like when I told the "How's it goin'?" guy from grocery that I liked his overcoat last winter. It was just cool.

When Karen came down, she said a bunch of more nice stuff about how I was a good worker and that I would do great and that she wished only the best for me. I don't remember her words exactly because I've heard a lot like them lately and while I super greatly appreciate them I can no longer distinguish most of them from the others. Then she said she'd give me a hug, but she couldn't. Cause of Covid probably, and cause she's the boss. I've given out many hugs in spite of Covid.

Shelby got really talkative during the afternoon. I learned that she works at another No Frills, in London, that Phil owns! He used to work here. Apparently it's terrible there. She talked a lot, and it was great.

Selicia finished an hour before I did, and she came through the self checkout with a huge bunch of flowers. She brought them straight to me and handed them over. I almost cried. "The sunflowers remind me of you," she said. "Because you're always happy." I promised I'd find her on Snapchat so that we'd stay in touch. She is such a fun girl, and in the way I can get! Like, when I ran traffic, she'd come over to me and ask if she could go to the washroom—but in old English! And of course I would respond equally dramatic, and it was always so grand.

Tyler came through the u-scan as well, half an hour before I was done. I told him I was going (I hadn't had the chance to say bye to his mom who also works here), and he looked at me and said, "That sucks. You were one of the people I could stand around here." It was interesting, because we had only really started talking three days ago when he tapped my stack of clean baskets every time he walked past and I had to re-polish them. Those were fun little moments in my day, and I was flattered. Then he hung around until I was finished my shift, chatting the whole time, and then asked for a ride home. We went to the back and shoved his bike into my car and were off. When we got to his place, he said that if I wanted to say hey to his mom, I knew where she lived now. I'll have to drop by one of these days.

I mixed up some words from an opera for a song for my No Frills people. I intended to send it to the Snap group and then leave as fast as possible so I wouldn't get all the weirded out responses—but it turns out that Snapchat deletes all your stuff after you leave. So boo.

Here's the song anyway. It's a remix of "Think of Me" from "The Phantom of the Opera" which I recently discovered and consequently fell utterly in love with.

Think of me
Think of me fondly
When we've said goodbye
Remember me
Once in a while
Please promise me you'll try

I know we knew
This job would never last
And that I'd leave in you in the past
If you ever have a moment
Stop, and think of me

Think of customers we laughed about
Think of all the ones that made us want to shout
Think of me
When you see baskets
Waiting to be cleaned
Remember me
When you need a smart serve
Someone with good speed

I know we knew
This job would never last
And that I'd leave in you in the past
I'll always remember you
So please do think of me.