Chapter 1

Shuichi POV

'Great, a new school, what could possible go wrong?' I thought as I walked in the direction of a nearby bus stop, clutching my bag, 'Just about everything, obviously' I sighed.

I had recently gotten expelled from my old school for landing a kid in the hospital, which I thought was kinda unfair, since I was just acting in self-defense. Well, there wasn't anything I could do about it now.

I eventually got to the bus stop and found a few other kids there waiting. Some of them were wearing uniforms for different schools, some of them wearing the same uniform as me. A girl with pink eyes and blond hair walked up to me.

"Hey," she said, "You're wearing the uniform for the school I go to, but I've never seen you at this bus stop before. Are you new?"

"Ah, yeah..." I replied, feeling slightly uncomfortable. I wasn't the greatest at meeting new people unless they interested me "I just transferred today. I'm Shuichi Saihara."

"I didn't ask for your name, but whatever," she let out a sigh, "I'm Kaede Akamatsu."

"Nice to meet you..." My voice drifted off as I realized the girl, Akamatsu, was no longer paying attention to me. She had pulled out her phone and was scrolling through something. I didn't care enough to see what it was.

A few minutes passed before the bus finally came. A few more teens had come to this stop during that time. Everyone shoved their way in front of the line, leaving me at the back. People quickly shuffled to seats, not even thinking of where they were going to sit. 'Probably because they've been riding this bus for a while' I thought to myself.

Looking around for any empty seats, I realized that there was only one. I walked over to it to find a small boy with purple hair reading a book and hoarding the majority of the seat.

"Um," I spoke up. The boy with glanced up at me.

"Do you need something?" He asked me with a cold tone.

"Well, I don't mean to disturb you, but all the other seats are taken, so I was wondering if I could sit here?" I tugged my hat over my eyes and glanced away.

"Do whatever you want," He replied and scooted over to give me more room to sit.

"Thanks," I said and sat down by him. After a few seconds passed, the bus started up.

I decided to steal a glance at the boy, and I realized how small and adorable he was. He had glasses that sat slightly crooked on his nose and lavender purple eyes. His dark purple-ish black hair seemed to have a way of defying gravity. The boy also had a band-aid on his cheek.

"Do you need something?" The boy asked me, cutting me out of my thoughts.

"Ah, I was just wondering what your name was. I'm Shuichi Saihara," I quickly came up with an excuse that benefited me.

He looked down at his book, reading a few more sentences, before finally replying, "Ouma," He replied in a whisper, making it so I could barely hear him, "Kokichi Ouma."

"You seem embarrassed," I noted aloud. I nearly chocked on laughter when his face changed to the color of a tomato.

"I-I'm not embarrassed!" He exclaimed quietly, "People just don't ask for my name very often..."

"Eh? Why not?"

Ouma just ignored me and went back to reading his book. I let out a sigh, knowing he wouldn't say anything else to me.

"Well, it was nice meeting you Ouma-kun," I said cheerfully before pulling out my phone.

Next thing I know, I'm walking through the school building while looking for my homeroom.

"You! Stop right there!" I heard someone call out. I stopped walking just in case they were talking to me.

A cheerful girl with long brown hair tied up in pigtails skipped over to me. "Jeez, it took me forever to find you... You're the new student right? Shuichi Saihara?"

"Erm, yeah, that's my name," I said uncomfortably. How'd she know that I was the new student?

"I'm Maki Harukawa! I'm the class representative of our homeroom, so I know the face and name of every student in there!" She told me proudly.

"Ah, that explains it..." I mumbled to myself.

"Anywho~, I'm sure you're wondering where homeroom is! Just follow me!" Harukawa said before skipping off.

"Ah, w-wait up!" I called out before chasing after her.

Eventually, I got to our homeroom. There were 14 students other than me and Harukawa, I quickly recognized two of the students as Akamatsu and Ouma. Akamatsu was talking to some girl with long blonde hair and blue eyes, well, it was mainly the other girl talking. Ouma hanging out with a rather giant-looking guy with green hair and glasses. I couldn't help but feel a little jealous. Why did I feel this way? I had literally just met the guy, like, 5 minutes ago. I let out a little inaudible sigh. There were times where I hardly even understood myself.

"Ahem!" Harukawa loudly cleared her throat, causing everyone to look at her, "As you all can see, we have a new peer, so I expect you all to give him a warm welcome!"

"Why should I do anything for that twerp?!" A guy with spiky purple hair asked. He was leaning back in his seat and had his feet on top of his desk.

He looks exhausting to be around.

"Good question! You, Kaito Momota, should be nice towards him because you love me," I noticed the purple haired boy blush and look away, "And the rest of you should be nice because you all are decent people... to some extent at least."

"Uhm, where should I sit?" I asked Harukawa.

"That may be the best question I've heard all day... I suppose the day did just begin, though," Harukawa said before going quiet for a few seconds, "Well, I suppose you could go sit behind Kaede Akamatsu, which is to the right of Kokichi Ouma and Catty-Corner from Miu Iruma."

"What?"

She sighed, "Right there," Then pointed to a seat behind Akamatsu.

I headed over to that seat and sat down before realizing that I was sitting by Ouma. 'So that's what she meant when she said all of those names,' I looked to see who was sitting diagonally from me. It was that other blonde haired girl that Akamatsu had been talking to earlier 'So then she must be Miu Iruma.'

I turned towards Ouma, "Hey, Ouma-kun," I said. He ignored me and kept talking to the green haired boy. I sighed, as the bell that signaled the start of school rang.

'This is gonna be a long day...'

1136 words