━━ chapter 6

Don't you know what becomes of curious minds?

°• ♔ •°

September had gone by, and soon enough, the chilly days of October arrived. Celeste watched, positively astonished as the trees of the Dark Forest burned themselves red. From her dormitory window, she had a spectacular sight of it all; oak tree stretching on for miles, like a sea of garnets and citrine. Each time she stepped outside, color shouted and sang around her. The halls smelled of pumpkin and cinnamon and the most scrumptious scents, wafting through the castle from the kitchen.

The dried brown leaves crunched underneath her feet as Celeste, Lily and Alice dashed through the grounds of Hogwarts. The friends had grown a close bond over the past month, becoming nearly inseparable.

"How - are you - running so quickly!" Lily gasped in between breaths.

"You should see me run in heels!" chided Celeste, tossing her hair arrogantly. "Tis not hard at all!"

"Ugh, don't talk like that," Alice complained. "You sound like my grandmother."

"Ah, is't both'ring thee?" Lily teased, winking at Alice.

Alice rolled her eyes. "Anyway, did Marlene say she would be joining us?"

"Mistress Marlene hadst hath decided to catch but a wink until dinn'r!" Celeste recalled, fighting back the urge to giggle.

"Stop it," Alice complained. "I don't like it."

The girls continued along in a fit of giggles. Lily suddenly blanched, turning at the familiar sound of a boy.

"Evans!" James Potter exclaimed happily, strolling up to the girls. "What a surprise! We keep running into each other!"

"Only because you made us look all over the school," Sirius grumbled behind him.

Celeste muffled a small snort, covering her laugh by coughing. Alice exchanged a look with her, eyes dancing with amusement.

Lily's eyes flared. "Leave us alone, Potter. We don't need you bothering us with your declarations of love for me again."

"Lily-Flower, if you could give me just one chance-"

"Just one?" Lily said suspiciously.

James's eyes lit with promise and excitement. "Just one!" he promised.

"And if I said yes, would you leave us alone?" she bargained, narrowing her eyes.

James nodded, bubbling over with elation.

"I'll think about it," Lily mused.

James looked absolutely delighted, as if his greatest wish had come true.

"Alright," Sirius announced, completely ignoring Celeste's presence. "We'd better be going then. Good day, ladies." With the slightest dip of his head, he dragged James away.

"Marlene will be sorry she missed this," Celeste chuckled. "Are you really going to do it, Lily?"

The red haired girl shrugged. "Possibly. Though I said so only for him to leave us alone."

"The poor boy," Alice sighed. "Well, we ought to head back. The sun is setting."

"I think I'll stay for a moment," Celeste stammered. "You guys should go ahead."

The sun was indeed setting, which was what had kept her from returning to the castle. Gazing past the Black Lake, the blazing sun cast a golden light onto her. A gentle breeze picked up her dark hair, fluttering just above where it had just rested. Celeste was absolutely entranced with sight, a secret smile sparkling in her eyes. Lily could not help but let herself smile at the girl as she took one last look and finally slipped away from view. Malfoy or not, she was just a girl.

Unaware of another watcher, someone approached Celeste.

At the sound of him clearing his throat, Celeste jumped and her hands flew to her heart. Turning to see his face, she looked even more startled. "Evan!" she blurted. "I didn't know you attended Hogwarts!"

Evan Rosier smiled charmingly. "I had not expected to see you here as well, angel. You don't mind if I call you that, do you?"

Her cheeks burned red. "Oh- no, not at all."

"You know," he continued, hardly noticing her response. "I was just passing by and saw you here. I cannot help but say, but you are the most breathtaking thing I have ever seen. You are not.. seeing anyone, are you?"

She laughed uneasily, looking away. "Thank you, Evan but I am betrothed, already."

A hint of anger flashed through his eyes, but Evan smiled widely. "If I may, who could possibly be so lucky to be taking your hand?"

Celeste suddenly snapped back into the present. "I apologize, it is awfully late now, and I must prepare for dinner." Straightening herself, she moved away and retreated to the castle, not daring to look back. It was improper, for a lady to be outside at nightfall no less with a man. Evan was kind, yes, but still was wrong.

Panic rose in her throat as she heard Evan's footsteps chasing after her. "Angel," he called, reaching his hand out for her arm. Celeste flinched at his touch, and whirled around. "I'm sorry," he apologized. "But I must insist —"

"Oi! Don't touch her!" a voice rang out sharply.

The wave of joy and relief was so intense that it nearly knocked her off her feet. His wand clenched in hand, Remus strode up to them. "What's going on?" he demanded.

"We were only talking, Lupin," Evan said coldly.

Remus glanced at Celeste, to see her with a wild and terrified look in her eyes. "I'll walk with you back to the common room," he told her. She nodded gratefully.

"Who are you to —"

"Careful, Rosier," Remus warned, tapping his prefect badge. Glowering at him, Evan briskly strode away.

Only a second later, Celeste exhaled with relief. "Oh, thank you, Remus. I don't know what might've happened if you hadn't —"

"Don't worry," he assured her. "Come on, let's go."

She stayed silent the entire walked to the common room. Only in just the past half hour, Hogwarts had looked and seem so ethereal and enchanting. And it took so little for that to be ruined. She felt wary of the school now. Was it not all that she had imagined?