━━ chapter 43

a pathological people pleaser who only wanted you to see her

It was early morning when Celeste woke on the cold floor. The sky was still dark, painting the foyer into a chilling scene of shadows. She trembled and shivered as she sat up, warily looking around the empty room.

There was a horrible, sickening grief in her stomach.

Celeste slowly stood, holding her breath as she did. Her body ached all over, from her neck to her thighs. She felt disgusted and humiliated with herself ― more than last time. How had she let it happen again?

She stumbled a step forward, as the feeling of Evan's hands and lips still tainted her memory. She could still feel his nails, clawing against her skin. She still felt the trail of unwanted touches and revolting pain between her legs.

Celeste doubled over and retched uncontrollably, her whole body repulsed. Tears stung at her eyes.

Rallying her strength together, she quickly charmed herself clean with a fresh set of clothes. Heart thundering, she fled out the door and raced to Sirius' flat.

-

Celeste burst through the door, chest heaving and hair disheveled. "Sirius!" she called, voice breaking. "Sirius?"

She entered the kitchen, where he usually waited for her. But today, he wasn't. She had expected as much, seeing as it was still twilight. He likely wasn't awake.

Celeste called for him again and received no reply. She crossed over to the next room, continuing to search. "Siri―"

Sirius was sitting in the living room, on the couch, as though he had been there since she'd left. Like he hadn't moved, and was waiting for her return. In the darkness of the house, the shadows made him look older. Angrier.

He stared at the floor, face hard and unhearing.

"Sirius?"

He ignored her.

Celeste moved closer to him. She tried again, more desperate. "Sirius."

This time, he finally turned to look at her. His expression was unreadable as he stood. "Had fun, did you?" he suddenly sneered. "How was tea?"

A surprised and pained look flashed over Celeste's face. She tried to steady her breathing as she said, "I was called to a meeting, Sirius."

Sirius scoffed in disbelief, his breath reeking of alcohol. "Right. Of course. You always are."