0. then again, maybe not.

Heyooo another story I guess 🤷‍♀️ Anywayyyy enjoy chapter 0.

Killua's POV{age: 14}~

I was awoken from my deep, and comfortable, slumber by my younger sister Alluka pouncing onto my bad and shaking me awake. Her eyes were filled with excitement and yearning.

"Killua!" She smiled. "It's your fourteenth birthday! Let's see what ability you have! Then you'll meet your soulmate and get married and be happy forever!" She laughed. I sat up, wiping my eyes groggily.

"Alluka, I already told you. I don't know if I even have a soulmate." I said, now awake and rising from my bed. She followed suit.

"Stop spewing nonsense, Brother! Everyone has a soulmate. So, let's just check." She pulled the sleeves of my pajama shirt up, revealing one simple word on the inner side of my wrist. Poetry. "Ooh! I read about this one! The way you communicate with your soulmate is through poetry only! Isn't it romantic?" She faced me with starry eyes. Why would she be so excited for someone else's soulmate ability? She won't be getting hers for another three years and she doesn't even seem to care.

"Sounds lame." I shrugged it off and yanked my sleeve back down as the words dissipated into my skin.

To Alluka, I seem bored and annoyed by the whole soulmate idea. In actuality, I'm rather excited with what joy this could bring me. I can communicate with someone and have someone to talk to. I smiled to myself. And one day, when we're older, we can meet in person. And fall in love for reals.

So, as soon as night fell and my family lay sleeping in their beds, I eagerly lifted up my sleeve. If what Alluka told me is correct, then the words I say-- if it's a poem--will appear on their skin. I wonder how they'll react.

I pulled out my fountain pen and pressed it to my skin. Then, I began writing. It was like the words came to me instantly. I didn't have to overthink like I usually did. It was just...natural. Maybe it's the work of my soulmate.

"I wish to meet you
One day when we're able
To be together."

A pink tint rising to my pale cheeks as I completed the Haiku. The words faded from my arm, showing that my soulmate had just received the poem. I sat there in silence waiting for a response to appear on my wrists. Nothing. I sighed in disappointment.

"Maybe they go to sleep early?" I mumbled aloud. I then pulled my sleeve over my wrist again before lying down to sleep.

Hours passed. Days passed. Weeks passed. Months passed. No response. I gave up hope of even having a soulmate. I shut myself up in my room and wouldn't leave for days at a time. I couldn't even bring myself to do basic tasks such as showering and eating. Is it possible to feel that betrayed over a soulmate who doesn't exist? I suppose it could be.

"Killua?" Alluka knocked on my door and peeked in. "Killua, maybe you should...Oh. You're more cheerful..?"

I rose from my bed and fixed the sheets. I looked over at her and smiled.

"Yeah, I'm better now."

"But you were so sad..." She frowned empathetically. "Because of your soulmate..."

"Well, whatever. I don't need a soulmate. I've got a wonderful younger sister and wonderful friends too!"

The bit about the friends was a half-truth really. I've got friends, sure, but we just aren't close. We've got separate lives, separate jobs, and we just don't ever bond very strongly. It's not their fault, obviously. It's probably mine.

"Okay." She gave a soft smile. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I smiled and nodded. She waved goodbye and left my room, closing the door behind her. I dropped my smile. I guess by smiling, I was telling a half truth. I'm not particularly happy, but I'm not depressed about it. Well, anymore. I'm just kind of over it. Why waste my time over a nonexistent person?

Later that night, I lay awake on my back facing the ceiling. The ceiling fan, having just been shut off, slowed and slowed and slowed, spinning in circles. I began thinking to myself.

Maybe I do have a soulmate. Maybe they're just...extremely busy. Maybe they have multiple jobs to help out their family. Maybe they just can't read. No, everyone my age can read. Maybe they just are too scared to look at their wrists. Then again, maybe not.

I have so many different drafts, but I reeaalllyy love this concept I came up with so I gotta post it before I lose motivation entirely. And yes, I will be updating Selfish regularly because I already have the end plotted out and what a waste it'd be to just abandon the story. Sheesh. Ok, love y'all ^^