FOUR

"w-we should get you home. i don't want you getting sick or anything," i said, she nodded softly. when i got up, she quickly gave me a hug, her face pressed against my chest. i smiled to myself, wrapping my arms around her shoulders.

we got back to our apartment complex, she stood outside her door, i waited for her to open it and go in.
"you okay," i asked as she just stared at her doorknob. she turned to me.
"i don't wanna go in," she said softly, i furrowed my eyebrows.
"what's wrong," i asked, her eyes welled up again.
"i'm gonna be alone, again," she said, i nodded softly after a few seconds.

"well... y..you could come in with me? if you'd like?" i offered.
"what about your mom, and your sister?"
"my sister's at her friend's house and my mom won't be home for a few days, she's in san fran," i said, she nodded softly.
"we can be alone... together!" i said, she looked up at me.
"yeah, together," she said, we both had grins on our faces.

we walked into my apartment, i shut the door behind me as she walked in, looking around. i turned to look at her, she was looking down at the pile of dolls my sister left in the middle of the living room.
"god, i tell her to put her shit away and she leaves it out here like it's nothing," i said, picking some of them up and going to her room down her hall as salem giggled.

i dropped them onto her floor, going back out into the hallway.
"holy shit!" salem yelled, running toward and behind me.
"what, what's wrong?!"
"i just saw a fatass mouse run across your kitchen," she said, i furrowed my eyebrows, then laughing when i realized what she was talking about. she stood there confused as she was gripping onto my shirt, i kept laughing.

"w-what? how is that funny," she said, i went into the kitchen. i picked him up, he meowed at me.
"that was just my sister's cat," i said, salem sighed, looking at me with a pout.
"that's not funny," she said, crossing her arms, i smiled.

"your sister has a cat?"
"yeah. well- he's mostly mine. all she does is play with it, but i feed him and shit," i said, putting him down. he sniffed along salem's legs, she looked up at me.
"what's his name," she asked.
"forest, my sister found him in the bushes behind the apartment complex," salem smirked as she looked down at forest, he purred against her leg.
"i think he likes you," i said, she crouched down.

"hi, kitty," she said softly, making me smile again, my cheeks turning a dark red. he was purring softly as she scratched his chin, she had the cutest little smile on her face the whole time.
"you should.. um- get in the shower. ya know, cause you're all wet and stuff," i said, she looked at me and nodded.

i showed her to the bathroom, giving her a clean towel and some of my clothes to put on when she comes out. before i could shut the door, salem stopped me, putting her hand on mine, that was on the door.
"wait- um... thank you, ruben. really.. thank you," she said, i smiled in return.
"no problem, salem," i said, she smiled
"oh, and also, i brought you a toothbrush," i said, holding it out to her.
"oh, thanks," she said, i nodded, shutting the door.

i sat on my bed, forest on one end of it. she walked in, her hair wet and a small grin on her face, she was still blushing.
"hey," i said, looking up from my cat.
"hi," she said in her usual soft tone. she stopped walking for a second, awkwardly standing there. i patted the bed, signaling for her to come over. she walked over, sitting down on the edge of my bed.
"uh, you can, uh, sleep with me.. if that's okay with you," i said, she looked up at me.
"oh, uh, yeah, sure," she said, i nodded softly.

i picked forest up, getting up and taking him to my sister's room, where his bed was. i walked back in, salem was looking around my room and at the shit tons of posters i was able to squish into my small walls.

i pulled my shirt off from the other side of the bed, then climbing under my comforter with her. i turned my lamp off, we were laying facing away from each other.
"night, salem."
"goodnight, ruben."

——-