Chapter 21

Tyler POV

I have to admit, Brendon being the one to set Samantha off was a nice break from feeling like I was always scaring her. But I was concerned that she went upstairs alone. She didn't spend a lot of time alone these days.

"Should we bring the tree in?" Josh asked, looking up the stairs.

"Hang on a minute. Let me go see if Sam's okay," I said.

"I'll come," Jenna said. "Just in case."

The two of us went up to Samantha's room and knocked on the door.

"Sam?  Is it okay if we come in?" No answer. Not that I was actually expecting one.

I pushed the door open and looked around. No Sam. I went over to her bathroom. The door was open so she wasn't in there.

I looked around. I didn't see her anywhere.

"Jen?" I said. "She's not here."

I was starting to panic.

"Yes she is," Jenna said, pointing to Sam's bed. I looked over and wondered what Jen saw that I didn't. I bent down and there was Sam. Curled up in a ball, under her bed, fast asleep.

"I don't want to leave her there, but I don't want to scare her either," I said.

"Just be gentle," Jenna said.

I lay down on my stomach and moved just towards the side of the bed.

"Sam," I whispered. "Hey, Sam, it's Tyler. Wake up sweetie."

She stirred a little.

"Samantha, honey. Wake up darling."

Her eyes opened slowly. She looked at me, curled up tighter for a second. And then relaxed.

"Hey there beautiful," I said. "Come on out from there. You're okay. You're safe. We got you."

I put my hand out to help pull her out from under the bed. She looked at me skeptically and then snaked her way out from under the bed. I sat up as she came out from under her bed. She sat up beside me and looked at me. Tears sprang to her eyes. She still cried silently.

I wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a hug.

"Oh Sam," I said. "I'm so sorry you're going through this."

She cried silently for a couple of minutes, then calmed down and sighed. Jenna had sat down beside us and held Samantha's hand.

"Tyler and Brendon and Josh and Sarah went out and got something really special. Want to see?"

Samantha shrugged.

"Okay. Let's go downstairs and they can bring it in for you to see."

We got up and went downstairs. Brendon was playing Fortnite with Josh.

"Hey there beautiful," Sarah said coming over to Samantha. "Feeling okay?"

Samantha shrugged.

"Guys," Jenna said. "Go get what you got."

We went outside and carried in the tree. Samantha didn't seem all that impressed. Jenna was marvelling at it.

"Wow! That's a beautiful tree. Samantha, isn't it beautiful?"

Samantha looked at the tree, confused, then sat on the couch and picked up her book. Brendon flopped down beside her. She jumped.

"Hey Darlin'. Don't you like the tree?"