you have his child after you broke up but you didn't tell him (requested)

"Is that yummy?" You asked your four-year-old son, James, as he ate the delicious piece of cake that the staff at the restaurant gave him since it's his birthday today.

You wanted to treat your son to something special. He's your whole world and has been since the day he came into the world. It's hard for you to believe that day was four years ago today.

He looks so much like his father that it leaves you in awe.

He's got so many of the little traits Michael had; such as his intelligence, his kindness, his sweet personality, and his interest in learning new and different things.

For a four-year-old, he's incredibly smart and friendly.

"Happy birthday buddy." You whispered and missed his head before giggling as he grabbed some of the treat in his hand and put it up to your mouth.

The restaurant wasn't packed. It was quiet and calm. There are a few other people inside but they were more interested in eating the delicious food, like you and your son were.

But it didn't stay quiet as four excited boys entered the restaurant. You didn't pay much attention to them.

You were more focused on James.

However, that changed when you heard a familiar voice.

Your heart started to pound as you looked in the direction it was coming from.

There he stood - Michael, the father of gift your child and the man you once planned on spending the rest of your life with.

That was until the distance got the best of you and your lack of quality time together overwhelmed you both.

You called it quits on the first week he was on tour, both of you completely unaware at that time that you were pregnant.

You saw the boys were with him and you didn't want any of them to see you.

James had just finished and the bill has already been paid, so you threw some money onto the table and cleaned his hands before standing up.

"C'mon, honey. Let's go home. We'll watch some cartoons together until bed. Sound fun?" You asked as you hurriedly gathered your things.

"Yeah!" He yelled excitedly and it captured the attention of the four boys you were hoping to avoid being seen by.

They all went wide-eyes when they saw it was you. They had just sat down at the table across the room from you and it felt so surreal to see you in person that Michael actually thought he was dreaming.

"Y/N?" He yelled and you cursed under your breath.

He got up and walked to you before you could walk away.

"Hey!" He grinned as he came to your wife.

His smile was just as beautiful and as perfect as always. He was still so handsome that it took your breath away.

But his once bright smile faded when he saw the little boy by your side, noticing the small boy wrapped in yours.

"Who's this little dude?"

He watched the small boy smile and his breath hitched as he realized that the boy was practically the spitting image of him.

"Come on, buddy."

"Wait!" Michael yelled as you started to walk away.

You stopped walking and turned to face him.

He was walking closer to you, returning to your side yet again.

"He looks just like me..." he mumbled quietly. "Y/N? Explain."

The boys' eyes were on the three of you, as well as a few other people in the restaurant as Michael's loud voice caught their attention.

"I can't." You said and started to walk away again.

"You have to, y/n!" He said as he followed behind you, taking your hand into his as he caught up to you. "Talk to me."

"Talk to you? Mikey, I haven't spoken to you in years."

"I don't care about any of that right now, y/n. I want to know if that's my son!"

You stared down at James. There was no denying it. He was Michael's. He was practically his twin.

"How could you not tell me about him?"

"You were busy... always."

"Never too busy to know you were pregnant with my child! I don't care how busy I was, that's my son!"

"I know." You spoke quietly. "I'm sorry. I know I should've told you but I was afraid. We could handle the distance or the time differences or the lack of quality time together. I was scared to tell you that we were having a baby. I didn't know what would happen."

"I would've come home in a heartbeat, y/n. That's what would've happened! I would've been there. I would've been right by your side every step of the way. I wouldn't have missed a thing. Not for the boys, not for the fans, not for anything in the world."

You swallowed thickly as he squeezed your hand and walked closer to you, now standing right in front of you.

"We both know we never wanted to end things. At that moment, we didn't know what else to do, right?"

You nodded.

"We should've talked things out more."

"I agree. But please believe me when I tell you that I didn't know I was pregnant when we broke up. I was only a few weeks along. With the symptoms I was showing, I thought I had the flu."

"That doesn't excuse the fact that you didn't tell me when you found out. These last how many years you had my son and I had no idea?"

"Four. He's four today."

Michael stared at his son with tears in his eyes. He was crushed that he'd missed out on four years of his life, but he was determined to be part of the rest of it.

"Happy birthday, little man."

Your son smiled at him and Michaels's breath hitched.

He had his smile. He had his eyes. But he had your nose and he loved that.

"What's his name?"

"James."

Michael chuckled happily, in awe.

"I'm going to be part of his life from here on out. We have to talk more about this. We have to work together to parent him. No more doing this on your own."

He wasn't yelling. He wasn't mad. He was being sweet. His last sentence was more of support than anger, as if he felt bad that you'd done this all on your own.

"He's our son, y/n. Our child."

"I know. He's perfect, isn't he?"

"He is." Michael smiled. "I wish I could've been there to watch him be born and to hold your hand and be by your side as he grew into this little tiny person. But we can't change the past, right? We're changing this now, though. He's going to have his mother and his father in his life. I don't want to miss out on anything else. Not one single moment."

"Okay." You smiled in agreement. "I'm sorry-"

"Shh. No more apologizing right now. Let me go tell the boys I have to catch up with you. I won't tell them exactly what's going on just yet. But I want them to know instead of just ditching them. Then I'm coming right back out and we're going to either my place or yours and we're going to talk."

"Okay."

"Okay." He smiled and squeezed your hand a few times before dropping it.

You didn't see the being turning out like this but you're not mad about it.

James needs his father in his life and if he was this willing and this excited to be part of it, you were perfectly fine with it.