Father

I had killed a girl back in Hogwarts. Honestly, it wasn't really my fault. I wanted to prove the rumours of Salazar Slytherin were true. I had been thrilled and excited by the power I felt. A touch of madness and a deadly snake to do my bidding. The panicked waste of a headmaster had put the school on some form of lockdown. I couldn't afford to get caught back then, not when I had just started to feel better.

Right now I felt that same urge. I wanted to rip the woman's head from her shoulders. After laying Alicia down I went to do exactly that. The thrill I felt seeing her fear matched the time I had scared McGonagall. If anything my reputation back then was almost the same as right now.

That's why I was caught completely off guard when I heard a small cry. It wasn't from the woman, Lucius or Severus. It came from behind me. I spun around and frowned at the door as the crying continued. I hesitated before opening it and looking for the source of the noise.

Sitting on the floor in the closet was a baby. He was crying as he clutched onto a blanket. I knelt down in front of him and offered him my hand. When he stopped crying and looked at me I lost my balance. My anger, the touch of madness growing inside of me was trampled.

The little baby boy looked at me with the same beautiful blue eyes Alicia had. At that time I didn't know how I knew he was a boy or how I knew picking him up would quiet him down. I lifted him into my arms and stood up a little wobbly. My body moved in auto pilot as I turned around to face everyone else.

"Severus stay here with him. I'm going to take her to the ministry." I heard Lucius say.

I walked around the room trying to find anything that would explain the situation. Why was there a baby here? Why did he have Alicia's eyes? The baby sared at me silently as I walked around with him. He seemed more curious than scared. The same eyes that were never scared of me.

I almost just gave up with my questions. Nothing here would answer and Alicia was dead. How was I supposed to feel about the baby in my arms? Had she cheated on me? Was that why she left me? But the baby seemed to be only a month old. Alicia had been gone for nearly 8 months.

"Tom." Severus laid a hand on my shoulder.

"What?" I sighed.

He handed me a paper. I recognised the hand writing as Alicia's. I was a little relieved that she had left me an explanation. I also felt a little stupid. Alicia always had to explain things to me. Things that didn't normally make any logical sense. She had known me so well and had patiently put up with me.

~*~*~

Dear Tom,

Meet Harrison. Confused?

Harrison is our baby. I know I left you a letter saying that I was dying but I just couldn't have you coming to look for me. I guess that didn't work since my sister told me you were staying with her for the past few months.

I really wish you had stayed there. Or even just accepted that I wasn't coming back before staying with her.

The truth is that Bellatrix Black has been an obsessed fan of yours. You probably don't even know who she is. She's the one who cursed me at Hogwarts. When that didn't work she tried to slowly poison me. I had been pregnant once before but lost it because of her and the poison.

I was going to tell you that day about the baby, but she showed up at our door. I didn't want to lose another baby and I didn't want to hurt you. So I left hoping you'd give up. I knew you'd never truely see her but she believed you would. That's why she let me leave. She didn't know about the journal or the letter.

Please protect our baby Tom. Show him the love and patience I showed you. Teach him that love wins. Don't abandon him like my parents and your parents did to us. Don't lose yourself because I am gone. Harrison needs you.

I'll love you even when I'm gone. I will never stop loving you and I'll never stop being yours.

With love
Alicia Reid

~*~*~

I looked at the baby in my arms. He smiled at me and dropped his blanket. His bottom lip quivered and I bent down for the blanket. It felt so natural holding him and making sure he wouldn't cry again. His smile was cute and innocent.

I folded the letter and put it into my pocket before walking outside. I needed air and I didn't want Harrison seeing his mother. Severus followed me out not saying a word.

"What do you do Severus?" I asked.

"I'm a potion master."

"Impressive for your age. How would you like a job?"

He frowned at me. "Sir?"

I shrugged. "My son needs a family. I'm not exactly suited to do it on my own since his mother always had to explain things to me. So I'll build him a family. You and Lucius will be the first."

"But I don't..."

"Lucius told me about the fan club." I cut him off. "I'm not saying that you have to agree. I'm asking you as a friend and mentor. In return I'll help you achieve your goals."

Severus looked back at the house and then at me. I had been looking between Harrison and the sky. Severus was at least 6 or 7 years younger than me so I didn't really think he'd be as talented as he was. Already a potion master at the age of 22.

"I need a place to stay. My house isn't exactly suitable for making potions." Severus said.

"Consider it done." I shrugged.

"Lucius has his own family now." Severus sighed.

"I'm aware. I believe Narcissa is due any day now." I shrugged. "I'll have to ask her to help me if she can."

"Sir. Are you sure about this?" Severus asked.

I nodded my head. Harrison had fallen asleep in my arms as Severus and I spoke. I shifted him and he clung onto my shirt. I noticed Severus smile slightly at the sound that Harrison made. For some reason I pictured myself and the similarities between him and I were so uncanny. Was that the reason he asked?

I didn't get a chance to ask as Lucius appeared in front of us. His eyes wide and face gaunt. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish as he seemed to struggle with his words. I raised an eyebrow as I waited for him and Severus frowned.

"Narcissa... Baby... Now." Lucius finally managed to say.

"What?" Severus and I asked at the same time.

"Narcissa!" Lucius yelled and Harrison started crying.

"Go then. Merlin's sake, don't scare my fucking kid." I frowned.

"No... Baby... She's having... The baby." Lucius sighed.

"Severus you can go with him." I said when Severus turned to me. "I'll catch up cause I'm not apparating with the kid."

Severus nodded and the two of them were gone. I smiled a little and looked down at Harrison. The little boy had stopped crying when the others left. I was a little excited about being a father and now Lucius and I would be figuring it out together. It was a relief to think that Harrison would have other kids to play with.

I was going to build him the family I never had. If I had to do it from scratch then so be it. Severus and Lucius were the first. I'd ask Lucius to be his godfather later when I joined them.

My son was born because of true love and not because of a love potion. He doesn't have his mother because she died after giving birth to him - he will NOT be abandoned by his father. My son will know what love is because his mother sacrificed so much for him - his father will do the same.

He'll grow up in an environment where some muggles aren't considered maggots because his aunt had requested it. A muggle family who sacrificed everything for a Half-Blood who wasn't even related to them by blood. They had gained my respect even though it had costed them their lives.

(1435 words)