Part 9

"Hey Steve,"

His blue eyes snap up to me. "Yeah ?"

And for the second time today, I walk up to him, and pull him in for a hug. I could tell he was still very frazzled from whatever Wanda showed him...I'd ask, but that's seems too insensitive. "I'm here for you," I pull away, looking into his eyes and squeezing his broad shoulders gently. "If you ever need to talk, I'm your girl, okay ?"

He smiles a genuine smile. He cups my face, and places a soft kiss on my head, pulling me to his chest again. My hands rest around his waist, and he runs his fingers softly through my sticky hair (I desperately need a shower). "I know, thanks Rave."

Steve, in an odd way, I always saw as a

Steve, in an odd way, I always saw as a...mom figure ? Not physically of course, but he jusy always showed me the softness, love and protectiveness I imagine a mother would show you. I never knew my mother, but from what my father told me, she was a good women – and an exceptional, brave warrior. Her duties however, lied elsewhere. See, my mother was a Valkyrie. From what I've heard from my father, she left for battle shortly after I was born – and never came back. It wasn't long until he was informed of her passing.

So I guess Steve sort of filled that empty position. He's never yelled or raised his voice, always showing a sense of calmness towards me when I was in the wrong – and I don't know, I just imagine that's how a mother would act. He was the complete opposite of Tony when it came to 'parenting'. Tony was the strict one – but also the fun one (along with Tony came Pepper of course, and she was just like that really awesome step-mom). Bruce and Clint were like uncles; Clint being the cool impulsive one, a little bit reckless sometimes too, and Bruce was the one always helping me with homeschooling and projects and stuff like that. Nat was like my overprotective, cheeky older sister – and actually the first person i came out to when i returned from Asgard.

"I'm gonna take a little walk, clear my head for a bit," Steve says when he pulls away. I nod with a gentle smile. "Look after the kids inside will yah ?" He asks as he starts walking away.

I chuckle while taking a seat on the porch steps, enjoying the sun now. "When you say 'kids', I hear 'Tony Stark'."

He turns briefly as he walks. "Good." we share a humorous smile before he turns back around and continues around the corner of the house.

***

While I was lounging on the steps, basking in the sun, I briefly enjoyed the silence – briefly. However, when I actually took note of the silence, I realised I was alone, my father having disappeared. He was so sly, and there were times I wouldn't even hear or see him discreetly vanish. I retreated back into the house in search of him, when Laura comes up to me, halting my search. "Hey, I just know it was hell back there. Just wanted to let you know that we have a spare room upstairs that you and your uh, dad, could share. There's an on-suite bathroom too, and we have running, hot water."