Chapter 16: An Unexpected Talk

I woke up to several text messages, most of them from Sakura but strangely Sakuta had texted me too. I had hoped that Rio would have sent one, but I guess it was still a little soon for her to have any news. I opened up the one from Sakuta first. "Hope you two had a good time at the party, it was great getting to meet her. Mai is already looking forward to the next time."

I smiled, quickly typing out a reply thanking him for yesterday, and letting him know I'd talk to Sakura about getting together again in the future. Pressing send, I backed out and started from the first of the texts from Sakura.

"I woke up super early today, I'm really excited and nervous about meeting your family. I hope this doesn't wake you up." "Oh sorry, good morning by the way. I guess I should have said that first." "Thank you for yesterday, for everything. It was a great day, I really enjoyed meeting your new friends (so proud of you btw!) I hope we can see them again sometime."

She was always a hyper texter, but never like this before. Was the change in our relationship making her flustered? I debated whether I should say something later, but decided I'd let her bring it up. I didn't want to put her on the spot in case I was misreading things.

"Well good morning, I hope you're a little less nervous now. I'll get ready and then head over if that's okay with you." I sent the text, wondering if I should have said something sweet, though it was still a little early for my brain to come up with something.

I made my way to the bathroom, turning on the shower. The cool water woke me up the rest of the way, though as it heated up I felt very relaxed. I finished my shower, quickly brushing my teeth as I dried off. I wondered if Sakura had replied, but I had left my phone in my bedroom.

Finished in the bathroom, I made my way back to my room. I stood in front of my closet, unsure of what to wear. Should I wear something nice? It's not everyday that I got to introduce a girlfriend to my parents.

Girlfriend. I thought back a year, before Sakura and I had first met. Would I ever have imagined a day like this would come? Hypothetically, sure. Relationships happen all the time, you never know when you might find yourself getting into one. But if you had told me everything that would happen in a years time, I would have never believed a word of it.

A sudden vibration in my pocket pulled me out of my thoughts. I looked down to see that Sakura had replied. "Whenever you can head over is fine with me. Looking forward to seeing you!" I could have sworn I felt my heart skipped a beat as I read the text. Such a reaction over something so simple, I shook my head and smiled. "So am I." I thought to myself.

I quickly put on a simple button up shirt, nice enough but nothing too fancy. That with the black pants I was wearing already would hopefully be fine for the day. I grabbed my wallet, put on my glasses, and headed downstairs.

My mom was at her usual spot on the couch, looking back as she heard me coming down. "Hey mom, will you and dad be free today?" She nodded, looking a hit confused at first before smiling. "Today's the big day then? We're both looking forward to meeting her." I blushed but nodded. "I'm looking forward to it too."

I waved goodbye, promising to let her know when we were on our way over, and headed out. By now I was used to the route, and made it to Sakura's house in no time. I half expected to see her waiting outside, but the front of her house was empty. I made my way up to the front door, ringing the bell.

A few moments passed, and the door opened. On the other side was someone I had never met, though I recognized him from the photos I had seen the last time I was over. "Can I help you?" The rough deep voice shocked me for a moment, but I bounced back. "I'm here to see Sakura."