Chapter 22: Dreaming Of A Day

"So, what are the two of you? Friends?"

I looked over to Kyoko, who was currently sitting next to me on my bed. Wait this already happened, is this a dream?

The last things I remembered was the short wedding ceremony before my surgery began. I remembered being hooked up with all sorts of tubes, and one of the doctors telling me the name of some drug before I blacked out from whatever they had pumped into my system.

"Hey Kyoko, can we talk for a moment?" Kyoko looked up from the manga that she was reading and nodded. She had never been that big into manga before we became friends, but it had become a ritual whenever we had hung out at my house to read a little bit.

"Sure Sakura, what's up?" I could tell that she was trying to be strong and hold back her emotions, clearly she was still a bit rattled from whatever her and the boy who had stolen my heart had gone through.

"What do you think about him? You two seem to be getting along a bit better now."

Kyoko thought for a moment, I could tell her opinion of him had gone up since she didn't immediately blurt out a response.

"I still don't really get it, but I can see how much he cares about you. Before he always used to brush it off, or say you two weren't really anything, not even friends. Part of me still thinks you can do better, but I guess that's just me being superficial."

There's more you want to say, just say it. I won't be mad.

"I can tell he's changed from how he used to be, maybe that's because of all the time he's spent with you. I know you like him and if you're really set on him, I won't argue too much. If he makes you happy, then I'm happy."

I felt my cheeks burning as she came right out and said it. "Was it that obvious?" Kyoko smiled and nodded.

"You can't hide anything from me, I could always see how you would look at him and how your mood would be when you two were together, or how you would talk about what the two of you did. Even before you two started hanging out, I noticed how you'd be watching him from time to time."

Well there is one thing you don't know.

"I guess denying it at this point would just be a waste of time. I do like him, and it would make me really happy if the two of you could get along. He can be a little rough at first, but once you get to know him, you can see that he's a good guy."

Kyoko shrugged. "I'll do my best, at the very least I won't go off on him like I used to." She started to go back to the manga but squealed as I leaned over and hugged her.

"Thank you Kyoko, it means a lot to me."

Wait but if this is a dream, then...

"Kyoko, what if I said I didn't just like him?"

I had never asked this the day we hung out, we had just spent the rest of the time talking about whatever came to mind. Part of me wondered if this would even work, or whether Kyoko would just do the same things she had done when we had hung out.

"What do you mean?"

Kyoko looked over to me once more, closing the manga she had been reading with her finger saving her place. I silently celebrated that my idea had worked.

"What if I told you that I, well that I might love him?"

Kyoko didn't respond for a moment. I didn't really know what I expected to happen from here, while part of me wondered if this might be another lingering part of the syndrome.