Chapter 2. General Kenobi

"I've been informed by one of our spies that a bounty has been placed on your capture." My father sat down on the chair of his office, leaning back. "Do you have any idea of what this means?"

"That I'm definitely going to get that personal bodyguard you said I would?" I said, fidgeting with the hem of my dress embarrassed.

"Exactly."

"Is he going to follow me to the bathroom too?" I tried to lighten up the mood, which was not well received.

"Listen to me now." He crossed his arms. "I can bear your rebellious attitude and your complaints about my council, but you have been so careless for the last couple of days." He looked away, rage rising up in him. "Accusing the Separatists publicly. You have no idea what you've gotten yourself into."

"I'm sorry father." I apologised looking down, trying to hold in the tears. I desperately wanted to be useful to the kingdom, to make him see that I had the initiative and strength it takes to be a senator. And I was succeeding, until I said too much. "How much time until I have a dull Jedi attached to me like a limpet?" I said, trying to hide my emotions of defeat once more.

"I'm afraid not long." A gentle, silvery voice coming from the door replied.

I turned around to face a tall, dirty blonde Jedi. He wore light robes with a half armour on top. He was accompanied by two clones and another Jedi who had a scar across his right eye. The royal guards stood aside as they all entered the room. Both Jedi went over to my father, who stood up and shook their hands.

"Greetings. I'm glad you could make it so fast. These are desperate times for the people of Suraniat." My father invited them to sit down as I awkwardly stood in between all the guards.

"We came as soon as we heard of the possible blockade." The dirty blonde Jedi replied. Glancing at me a second time before giving the other Jedi a look of complacency. "Jedi Anakin Skywalker will lead the attack against the Separatists. I came to protect the princess."

"We will be eternally grateful for your aid." My father said, taking out a huge map of Suraniat from under his desk. "We mustn't waste time to prepare a plan. I've been informed that a blockade is being set while we talk, so they aren't expecting a counterattack any time soon. We will not give in to their threats, we will fight back."

Anakin Skywalker nodded proudly. The clones took their helmets off and got closer to the desk. I understood I wasn't wanted there by the way my father glanced at me, so I took off, hoping to get some time to get myself together.

"Princess Y/L/N." The dirty blonde Jedi called behind me. I suddenly remembered he was supposed to be by my side at all times so I slowed down my hastened pace down the corridor, allowing him to reach me. "I'm afraid we haven't been introduced properly." He started, walking beside me as I made my way down the stairs of the main hall. "My name's Obi Wan Kenobi. I have been sent to protect you against possible threats." I quickly stopped in my tracks.

"Your name's familiar to me." I said, trying to remember where I heard his name before.

"I'm a Jedi General." He finally said. I continued walking.

"So tell me, general." I said after I had collected my feelings, continuing my way down the stairs, out the side door to the garden. "What is an accomplished military commander doing protecting some princess from Suraniat? I would suppose someone like you would be leading armies, not following a bounty hunter target around."

"Well, if I'm being honest, there were very few Jedi available. The war has been very devastating lately."

"So they sent one of their bests on a trip to become a babysitter?" I laughed while we entered one of the main gardens.

"I wouldn't say protecting a princess and future senator is an easy or unimportant task." Obi Wan said smiling nonchalantly, with his hands linked behind his back as he made his way in front of me to lean on the fence that separated the cobbled path from the daffodil field. He had no idea that little acknowledgement of my wanted title as senator had just meant a lot to me. "Is there something wrong, princess Y/L/N?"

"No, everything's fine." I smiled briefly before I stood next to him, placing my hands on the fence while looking at the field before us. He turned around as well, placing one hand on the fence and letting the other one loose on top of his lightsaber. "I have another question, Obi Wan." I turned to him. "How long will I need your protection for?" I hesitated before asking, trying not to sound unpleasant with his company.

"I suppose that until your allegiance to the Republic becomes a reality, you will be in danger." He said. "Is your royal highness already tired of my company?"

"Not at all." I looked forward to the field that extended until the busy streets of the village started. "Not yet, at least." I grinned.

"I'll try not to get in your way." He laughed.

"Looks like a battle is about to commence." I observed the Republic ships taking off in direction to the hyperspace lanes. The air changed. Anxiety filled my chest as I sat down in one of the benches that were aligned with the path behind us.

"Something tells me it will be a long one." Obi Wan eventually sat next to me and admired the ships. We spent the evening and part of the night talking about our occupations and other matters to get to know each other better, and to distract ourselves from the battle that was taking place. I learnt a lot about his skills as a negotiator and commander for the Republic from his inspiring adventures. He was incredibly soft spoken and humble, and I unexpectedly grew to enjoy his company quite a lot.