Chapter 8. The prince of Keluura

Obi Wan slid the door of my balcony shut behind me. I sighed. It was almost 8am and we had just arrived from our adventure at night.

"See you in a little." He said before walking towards the door.

Before he could even place his hand on the door knob, somebody knocked from outside. He turned to me, his face pale in surprise. I signalled him towards my wardrobe, opening the door to let him in and shutting it.

"Princess Y/N." I recognised the voice of the handmaiden, Nathali from outside the door. "May I come in?"

"Ummmm... Yes, of course." I quickly handled my hair and straightened my dress, which felt terrible against my skin after being soaked in water. Nathali came in, holding a basket of flowers, silky like robes and hair styling tools. "May I ask what all this is for?" I asked, going through the basket with my eyes as she placed it on my dresser.

"You have a very special guest coming in just a few hours." I looked to the floor.

I had no idea what she was talking about, but acted as if I did. "I'll be ready then." I tried to end the conversation quickly.

"The King sent me to get you ready." She smiled, trying to avoid looking down at my attire. It had been long ago since I was assessed by Nathali to get ready, after having made it clear to my father I could do it on my own.

"Oh sure." I noticed her gaze landed on Obi Wan's cloak, which was still hanging over my shoulders as we spoke. "Well, let's get to it then." I removed it quickly, placing it on the bed.

"While I arrange your attire, you may shower." She walked towards the wardrobe. I quickly slid in between her and the doors.

"Uhh why don't we start by choosing a hairpiece." I mumbled. She looked confused. "Then we'll choose a garment accordingly." I smiled.

"As you wish." She walked towards the basket and started gathering flowers and looking at tiaras.

"Let's see the ones I have in my bathroom first." She looked at me confused once more. "They're my favourites." Once I had knocked on the wardrobe with the back of my hand, I entered the bathroom behind her, glancing at Obi Wan who was tip toeing on his way to the door.

After looking through a vast amount of flowers, tiaras and dresses, I was starting to get tired and wonder what kind of guest would be so important for me to have to look like a wedding cake. My mind was stuck in the mission with Obi Wan, the book, the code...

"So, which one do you pick?" Nathali finally said.

I arrived to the golden throne room, the familiar scent of daffodils and the marble floors greeting me as I made my way towards my father, sitting highly on his throne

I arrived to the golden throne room, the familiar scent of daffodils and the marble floors greeting me as I made my way towards my father, sitting highly on his throne. He pointed at the chair right next to him, but instead of sitting down, I crossed my arms over my chest and shifted my weight to my right leg.

"What's this about?" I inquired quite defensively.

"The council decided that, in order to get your mind where it must be, a suitor would be appropriate." He replied.

"What. Do. You. Mean." I stomped closer. "You never told me about this."

"I knew that otherwise, you wouldn't comply." He mischievously smiled. "Your guest has already arrived as we speak.You mustn't turn him down now."

"Of course I will. This is your problem." I turned my back on him, my hand rubbing the bridge of my nose.

"Y/N. Do not turn your back on me." He called from behind.

"What happened to us father." I turned around. "We were- We were okay. I could even say we were close. We used to-" I tried to reason with him.

"This is the prince of Keluura we're talking about." He interrupted, avoiding my attempt to have a meaningful conversation with him. I widened my eyes; Keluura had always been a Republic planet, one of the richest in the galaxy. "Contrary from the council, I'm not asking you to marry him. I'm asking you to spend a day out with him, show him around. But most importantly, let the village see you with him." I turned my head intrigued. "The vote will be celebrated in two days. We want to lift the spirit, have this handed to the Republic." I stayed silent, looking at the floor as chatter came from the hall behind me.

"Fine." I turned around to find two guards dressed in Keluura's signature colour; Royal Blue, contrasting with our deep purple guards. They were escorting the prince, who stood in front of me. He was tall, his hair dark, long and curly. He wore royal blue and had a sword embedded onto his belt. I maintained my head high and my face expressionless.

"Greetings." He vowed, and gestured the rest of the guards to leave. My father and I greeted him, the former seeming way more enthusiastic than me. "Shall we?" He let out his arm for me to grab and I took it, moving towards the door, as I turned back to glance at my father, who had called Obi Wan and was whispering something in his ear.

Obi Wan's POV

No amount of meditation could help me silence the strange feeling that found its place in my chest when she was around. Despite my best efforts to suppress the affection and anticipation that she generated, they came back to me, as if they were tied to a string only she could pull. I only realised this while we were on that secret escapade the previous night, watching her eyes lit up under my cloak.

I had been asked by the king to keep an eye on the prince of Keluura and her as they promenaded around the gardens near the village, another favour I accepted just to be sure nothing would happen to her; The Jedi Council had offered me a takeover by another Jedi on this mission, which I rejected, cursing myself for my clouded judgement. Why did she had such an effect on me? Why did I allow her?

Watching from afar, I was able to take in her soft features and her mannerisms, which were far more natural than the prince's. He was more rigid, correct, yet modest. I crossed my arms over my chest, scanning the area with my eyes and concentrating on any possible disturbances in the Force.

They seemed to be having a great time, conversating with some curious villagers and laughing. I could sense how the prince was growing more fond of her with each passing minute, and by the look of her face, I would say the same. They sat on one of the tables by the edge of the daffodil gardens to have tea, and it all felt very calm. Eventually, the guards dressed in royal blue approached the prince. They got up to say goodbye when suddenly, the prince leaned and pressed a kiss on Y/N's cheek. My breathe hitched for an instant, a sudden bitterness hitting me as she turned around to look at me. I directed my gaze to the ground, furrowing my eyebrows in disbelief. These feelings were not acceptable, not for me, and I had failed to keep them back. For an instant I felt a pair of eyes watching, which immediately allowed me to regain my position and scan the gardens. Soon it was gone, leaving me with the suspicion of there being a spy on palace grounds.