viii. it's gonna take a miracle

"You're playing hard. I'm proud of you guys." Coach Orion said to them in the locker room. "They're cheap shooting us to death, Coach." Luis told him. "I know they are. I know they are." Coach Orion said. "It's gonna take a miracle for us to hold on." Averman said. The door slammed open and in walked the one person Harlow wanted to see. "Dean Portman is awarded a full athletic and academic scholarship to the Eden Hall Academy." He said and everyone saw how Fulton and Harlow's eyes lit up. "I had this lying around the house in Chicago. My attorney thought I should sign it. I agreed. It's official, boys! I'm back!"

Fulton was the first one to reach him. He gave him a fist bump and a bro hug before moving out of the way. Dean and Harlow locked eyes. He walked towards her. "I've missed you." He said. "So what are you gonna do about it?" She asked. He stepped closer and his hands went to her waist while hers went to his face. They kissed and her arms snaked around his neck. "Alright, that's enough of that." Coach Orion said and they pulled away. "I'm already telling her and Fulton to knock it off, now I gotta deal with you too?" Everyone laughed and Dean pecked her on the lips once more before changing into his hockey gear.

                                                                                              ***

They all skated onto the ice with a new energy. Having Dean back brought the team to a new level. Banks took the face off and as soon as the puck was dropped, Dean skated out of the way. Cole ran at him but Dean just ducked down and sent Cole flying through the glass into the stands. Harlow and Fulton skated over to Dean. Cole attempted to get up but fell back down. "Now that's clearing the garbage." Fulton said. "Hey, we're just getting warmed up." Dean said as they skated back to the middle.

The Bash Brothers and Bash Babe were back. Goldberg was even helping them out. Fulton sent the puck back but one of the Varsity players intercepted it. Guy passed it to Averman after he got it, and hen Averman faked a shot, but sent it back to Luis. Luis shot it at the net but Scooter saved it. And of course, Luis went flying into the boards. There was just over two minutes left in the third period, and still no points.

Harlow, Fulton and Dean hopped over the boards and went back onto the ice. Dean went to take the puck but Rick dove down. They all skated over to him. "21 white, two minutes, hooking." The ref said. "What kind of call was that?" Harlow asked. "Give me a break. I didn't do anything." Dean shouted. "That's a dive!" The crowd started booing. "Alright then, do you want to see a penalty? I'll show you a real penalty." Dean went into the box and then threw his stick and helmet down. He jumped on the side and started screaming.

He took off his gloves and then took off his jersey. "What is he doing?" Harlow asked. He took off all his top and gear and then swung his shirt around his head. Fulton leaned over Harlow's shoulder. "How you feel?" He asked. "Well, I'm turned on, but I also don't want anyone else seeing that. He's ours." She said and Fulton nodded in agreement. Dean then started dancing. Harlow and Fulton skated back over to the bench.

The ref blew his whistle. They had too many players on the ice at once. "Luis, back on the bench! Wu, go to the box!" Coach Orion shouted out. "Alright, time out! Time out!" Luis skated back over to the bench. "Come on, bring it in. Now, listen to me. The pressure is all on them. All we gotta do is hold our ground. Okay, Conway, Banks, and Goldberg. I'm going with you." "Me, Coach?" Goldberg questioned. "You, Goldberg, You earned your spot out there. Okay. Ducks? Here we go! Come on!"

Goldberg, Charlie, and Banks got off the bench and Julie went back to the net. Before Charlie went back onto the ice, coach Orion placed a C on his jersey. There was only two minutes left of the game. Varsity was being vicious. Julie dove to save the puck but left the net open. Rick shot at it but Banks jumped in front of it. Goldberg got the puck and skated down the ice. Rick stole it and started racing back down. 

There was now one minute left of the game. Charlie and Rick went head to head, and then Charlie flipped Rick over his back. "That's what I'm talking about!" Coach Orion yelled out. Charlie got the puck and raced down the ice. Rick followed him but was pushed down by Goldberg. Goldberg raced after Charlie, and then Charlie sent the puck back to Goldberg. "Shoot, Goldberg, shoot!" Everyone on the bench yelled at him.

Goldberg shot the puck just as two guys pushed him down. And the puck went in! The siren went off just as the buzzer sounded. The Ducks all jumped off the bench and skated towards each other. Harlow was the first person to reach Julie and gave her a giant hug. Dean and Kenny jumped off the bench and joined the rest of the Ducks on the ice. They all brought each other into a group hug. Julie pulled away and Scooter skated towards her.

Harlow watched as Scooter kissed her twin sister on the cheek and then said something to her. Julie said something back and then they both looked over to Harlow She nodded. Julie was supportive of her relationship with Fulton and Dean, so of course Harlow would be supportive of her. Julie raced back towards them. Harlow was brought into another hug with Fulton and Dean on either side of her. "Hey, babes. Who's Charlie making out with?" Dean asked. Harlow and Fulton looked up.

"That's Linda. His girlfriend, I guess." Fulton said. "And who's the blonde with Luis?" "That's Mindy. That's his girlfriend." Harlow said, pointing over to Rick. "And your our girlfriend?" "Duh." She responded, leaning up and kissing Dean before leaning over to kiss Fulton. She pulled away and Dean leaned in and kissed Fulton. Harlow smiled. That was the first time they had ever been affectionate in public. They didn't like people knowing at first, but now I guess they didn't care.

"Hey, guys! Guys!" Charlie shouted out and they all turned around, seeing the banner that read 'Eden Hall Ducks' on it. It had their logo on it but in the Eden Hall colors. The crowd started quacking. Charlie kissed Linda once more before joining the rest of the Ducks on the ice. They had won. Once again. But they all knew that it wasn't the end of their story.