Invisible tears

***
"Look, I'll get a chance to talk to her later. I'm going in to get some sleep now." I forced myself through.

"Fine. If you want claim the prize. Wish me luck...", Jacob said licking his fingers and rubbing them on his eyebrows.

"Really?"

"Well someone's got to be brave isn't it?"

Suddenly something triggered in me that made me jump back outside and really... I found myself walking towards this new, pretty stranger on outside our porch. Knowing how highly likely it was for me to blow the whole chance to smithereens. Jacob had stepped back, unbothered any longer. He what he did on purpose and I knew it. It got me. But then, it also didn't seem much of a bad idea.

I had almost reached her side when I waited and breathed in hard and almost speedily, I turned around. Damn right, I was going to walk away fast before she noticed me. But too late. Ava turned around instead and faced me directly. Intently gazing into my face.

I froze.

"H-h-hi", I said...gathering all the strength I had in my veins to look at her face. She had the face of an angel... The kind that didn't need to smile before you admired it. Just her face was enough reason for me to loose hope. Definitely out of my league, if I had one.

She simply stared on... Not flinching a bit.

"Um-m... I just wanted to ask why you are out here alone."

She still wasn't talking.

"I didn't mean to pry or anything... I mean you probably don't like being around people a lot... But I've not gotten to know you or introduce myself. Properly."

Her silence and overly induced calmness had started creating a bit of a confusion for me.

"I know my parents did but Umm maybe it wasn't enough or..."

"I don't know, I think it wasn't, I'm not sure.", I stammered.

"Umm... I also wanted to say welcome to our neighborhood. It's a bit of an interesting place. You'll love it here."

That was a lie. That I planned to keep to myself as a secret.

Ava only looked away. Then down at her legs. And then back at me.

"Oookay... I guess... I'll just be on my way then."

I turned around with my mind made up not to put myself in stupid situations like that any longer. I was marching away when she called out to me...

"Your porch is nice..."

"Huh?"

"I like the breeze here."

"Ohh. Cool."

"The one at our place is just a matchstick away from a furnace."

"Your new place?"

"Yes. So I hate it."

"I'm guessing you didn't really like it when your parents said you were moving."

"It didn't even matter where I was."

It took me a second to understand. And then I didn't at all.

"Well... We moved here 7 years ago. I didn't like it either. But now that I'm grown. I understand a lot of things better. Besides. I'm used to it already. I mean who wouldn't right? We're all getting matured."

"They're not my parents."

"Huh?"

"If they were I wouldn't be here crying would I?"

"Ex...cuse me?"

Each second I spent with this girl I got more and more confused. I hadn't noticed a single drop of tears on her face, not even dried tears. Still didn't.
"Bye.", she said like she had timed everything. She walked away and she did so while rubbing her face.

"Bye?"

***
I spent the rest of that night thinking about that short encounter. It was like a short movie scene. Like the Titanic I mentioned earlier. I had to admit our encounter was even weirder thany usual encounters with girls. But at least she said more than five sentences. A good sign.

"Lover boy...", Jacob said interrupting my fantasy.

"What you thinking about?"

"None of your biz Jake.", I said as I stared at the ceiling. As white as it was there was a spot, just a little spot that was plain dark. It was hard to tell what caused the stain.

"You're thinking about her right? You should thank me that gave you the courage.", Jacob said. He was always one to brag and be the hero of the day directly or indirectly.

"Apparently she's a snob.", I said. I picked up my guitar and started to toy with the strings.

"Yo...", Jacob said as he sat up. I was startled a bit.

"There's always a way into every girl's heart bro."

He looked like he was about to lecture me. Or give a speech. And of there was anything he actually knew the most in the world. It was 'everything' about girls. Just that I wasn't as inclined as he thought.

"Yeah right. I can't even start anything with a normal girl.", I said convicting myself already. If Jacob remembered anything about when we were kids he would know that.

"And don'take it weird. It's not a romance movie.", I added, giving him a dull look.

Jake got up from his bed suddenly and jumped into mine.

"It won't take me up to a week to get her."

I stared at him dully.

"I'm serious."

"Well don't rub it in."

"But you like her so..."

Did I like her? I wasn't quite sure. She's beautiful and has a beautiful hair just like I do. Jacob also admitted so I was sure. What could it probably end in? If I asked Jacob that question, he would say tears. That pretty much was how it worked for him. Every relationship ending in tears.

"Do you remember that time when I chased you around the house on my birthday?"

"You wanted to beat me.", I said, a bit indifferent.

"And then another mean kid hit you and runs away."

"Yeah..."

Thank God he knew he was mean. "You stopped chasing me and started chasing him."

"He stillcan't move the last finger on his left hand. I didn't do it on purpose though."

"Then you came back later to finally beat me."

Jacob's smile widened.

"You're like the younger brother I never had."

"You too...", I meant it. Except that he was very annoying at times.

"The older brother who bullied me that I never had."

"Dude... I went to a boarding school."

"And probably bullied everyone there."

Jacob gaped at me and we both laughed.

Just don't act so popular in school tomorrow.", I said in good spirits.

"Don't act popular. Got it.", Jacob repeated, stressing the point.

"We'll soon start exams. You should start reading.", I informed him.

"Of course. Physics, maths, chemistry..."

"Quick question...what's a vector?", I said to test him a little. Then I turned to look at him when he didn't answer. Jacob was already dozing. That was proof he hadn't changed one bit. Anything that involves books, he dozes. I was alone to ponder again. If Ava wasn't an alien or a robot. Maybe I could have something to do with her. Just maybe...

What do you think? Do you want more? If yes you're welcome...