Bond shall we?

***

"Hey Mister" Ava said waving from the other street. I looked up into the scorching sun and placed my hands by my forehead to see more clearly. She was in her school uniform. Her tie hung loosely and her sweater was tied around her waist. My gaze was on her until the moment we met at the junction of the two streets. Then we began, towards the adjacent street, to walk home together.

"Why didn't you take your school bus?", Ava asked after a short while.

"I don't take the school bus." I answered. "What about you?"

"I missed mine."

"Your uniform looks nice." I complimented her. It was the first time I saw her in one. She seemed to be going to a very expensive school.

"Yours look childish." Ava replied.

"That's because I'm still literally a child." I answered putting on the bravest face I could make.

Ava smiled a little. It was almost one of mockery. "That's an awkward thing to admit."

"But it's the truth."

"Are you above 18?" Ava shot at me.

"No..."

She tilted her head in surprise. "You really are a child."

"Let me guess...you're older?"

"Very..."

Just then I stopped talking. I really did not understand this girl. Maybe it was time I stopped trying. I wasn't quick to notice a bright ash colored car pulling up beside us. The tinted windows were wound down. It was Ava's uncle, true to my guess.

"What's...your name again?" he asked looking jolly.

"Toby."

"Hmmm. I see you guys have been getting along pretty well."

"Kinda." Ava said.

Ava's uncle, Ben asked us to hop in and dropped me off when we got to our neighborhood. "See you around."Mr. Ben said as he drove into his compound. Ava said nothing to me as the car drove through the gate. When I got home, Jacob was taking his afternoon nap. I went straight upstairs to get my books and read while I waited for dad and mum to be back.

For the rest of that week, mum and dad travelled back and forth. Hopefully, their business was starting to look up. Jacob drifted about missing classes and sometimes skipping school. Each time I wanted to tell my parents about him, I would think twice. I thought it best to hide his actions. And I thought hopefully, things were going to get better as time went on. Ava was nowhere to be found. I later discovered that her uncle Ben was taking her to school now. Otherwise everything, I was axing my school tests and assignment. And I was making what I felt was good music. One day I was home alone as usual and I heard the doorbell. When I came downstairs to check, it was Ava.

"Hey." She said smiling for the first time I could observe. "Can we talk?"

I gaped at her for a moment. "Sure." I finally said.

"Outside on your porch." She added as I stood their waiting.

"Ohh right." "Let me grab my shirt."

I ran up the stairs and in a couple minutes, I was back with my shirt on. We both went outside to sit down on my porch.

"What's up?" I asked with a serious expression.

"Not much. I just wanted to talk that's all."

"Ahh. Okay." I said enthusiastic to hear what she had to say.

Ava looked at me and smiled. "You act strange around me."
"I don't think you're around girls that much."

I kept mute for a while. That was an awkward question that caught me by surprise.

"Silence means admittance." Ava insisted.

"You don't have to be shy about it."

"There's my mum... and Lucy. But she's a dog so..."

"That sound pathetic."

That angered me. "Look..."

"I don't really need a girl or girls. It's not necessary at this stage of my life."

"Nerd." Ava said smirking. "If that's what you want. To live a miserable life."

I decided to ignore her.

She sighed and then took deep breaths. "I'm sorry if I made you upset."
"So what's the girl's name?"

"Sophie."

She sighed once more.

"We'll, if I were Sophie. I won't look at you up to twice till I graduate from school."

It took me time to figure out if that was an insult or a compliment.

"You're boring, immature and innocent." "Plus, you have zero cool features. Zero insignia."

Her words hit me really deep. I almost felt like crying. "Pretty good job you did in figuring me out. But, I'm okay with who I am."

"If you want to impress a girl fast. You do it through actions not words. Words take longer time."

"How?" I asked raising an eyebrow. Was I really a nerd that I didn't realize it?

"Okay basketball or football or..."

"I don't and can't do sports." I was quick to chip in.

"We'll what can you do?"

"Music?"

"Doesn't work anymore. Not in this century. Unless you're a superstar. Because eventually we outgrow the guy with just talent and go for one who's actually successful with it."

I marveled at what she was trying to depict. I didn't think this girl was acting her age. Even though I had no clue what it was. As far as I was concerned. I needed her as a friend. To make my life less nerdy.

"If you're going to use words. Speak most times about things you're conversant with in class. You could do some research online the day before." She continued.

"Just seem to have knowledge. It will make them curious about you."

"I have a book. Force of attraction."

Wow. She really wanted to turn me around so badly.

"I'll get it to you later. It'll help you."

Yeah, help my pathetic life.

"What about the boys in your school?" I asked inquisitively.

" I told them my dad was a native doctor. So they'd back off." Ava said with a wicked smile on her face.

"Was he?" I asked backing away in fear.

"It was a lie." Ava said staring directly into my eyes.

She's crazy. She was like a bomb I'd never seen. Waiting to go off at anytime. I could figure her out today and tomorrow... she's different. But then, I had to stick with my new best friend despite the mystery.

What was your past like?" I dared to ask

***
What do you think? Enjoying the book so far? Comment and vote. Thank you