Epilogue: Healing

Scott felt kind of stupid doing this, but according to Stiles, that was the best option they had now so, walking around the hospital trying to not look suspicious - or rather, trying to look less suspicious than Scott and Stiles usually did -, the two boys finally managed to get close to Lydia's room without raising any red flags with the nurses and, taking a second to look around and make sure no one was paying attention to them, Scott pushed the door open, stepping inside and practically diving to the floor so that no one outside would be able to see him through the windows, as Stiles did the same, against the other side of the door.

"Shut the door." Scott told Stiles, and the boy did exactly that but, as he tried to do it slowly, the hinges whined loudly, causing Scott to wince, before turning to glare at Stiles when he finally managed to shut the door closed. "Oh, God..."

"What?" Stiles asked, before gasping and scurrying away from the door when it was pushed open again.

Scott widened his eyes as well, already trying to come with a convincing lie to tell either of Lydia's parents as to what he and Stiles were doing there, but, thankfully, before he could even begin to start explaining himself, he recognized the familiar lavender smell, mixed with some type of tea and breathed out in relief as he looked up just enough to see Diana Hills herself standing there, by the door with a cup in hands and a tired, but confused expression on her face.

"What are you two idiots doing on the floor?" She asked, closing the door after her, as both Scott and Stiles jumped to their feet in front of her.

"We... Hum... The window?" Stiles said, a little unsure, as Diana turned to look at it, before frowning.

"You're not allowed to be here, are you?" She asked with a sigh, turning to look back at the boys with a chuckle. "Did you break into the hospital?"

"That... Makes it sound like a crime." Stiles pointed out, to which Diana rolled her eyes.

"Because it is." She said. "You could've just called me, you know? I would've let you visit her."

"I told you we should have called her!" Scott whisper-yelled as Stiles shrugged, desperately.

"How was I supposed to know she would be the one here?"

"I've been staying with Lydia every afternoon after school since she's been admitted." Diana said.

"Well..." Stiles mumbled. "Yeah, maybe we should've called you, then."

"Yeah, you definitely should've." She nodded her head, placing her tea down in a table nearby before turning back to look at the boys. "But what did you come for? I... Don't suppose this is just a visit, considering you decided to break into the hospital for it?"

"No, it's not." Scott shook his head. "But, hum... How is she doing?"

"More of the same." Diana shrugged, her eyes moving past the boys to fall on Lydia instead as she stood a few feet away from her bed. "She... Hasn't shown any progress, but she also... She also hasn't shown any more complications. She just kind of... Lays there."

"Does she say anything?" Scott asked. "Even like... A little mumble."

"No. She barely moves." Diana sighed. "Half of the time it looks like she's not even breathing."

"What about... What about the... The bite?"

"I'm not sure, actually." Diana admitted. "I wasn't here any of the times they changed the bandages, so I didn't see it. Why?"

"When Peter bit me, it took less than a day to heal." Scott explained. "It's a... Werewolf thing. We... Heal faster."

"So you want to see if Lydia's healed?" Diana asked, as both of the boys nodded. "Okay. But before you do, tell me this... If it is... Does it mean... Does it mean Lydia is a werewolf?"

"If the bite is completely healed, yes." Scott nodded. "It probably means she's a werewolf."

"Oh, God..." Diana frowned, running a hand over her face. "Fine. Take a look, but be careful and make it quick. Natalie is coming to stay with Lydia after her shift at work in an hour."

"Okay." Scott nodded, walking over to Lydia with Stiles and Diana close behind him.

Very carefully, Scott pushed Lydia's hospital gown aside and ripped off part of the big bandage on Lydia's waist. Stiles was quick to look away as soon as the bandage started to come off but Diana, on the other hand, leaned even closer to Scott to take a look at it, only to frown when she saw what she had expected to see: a huge scar from where Peter had bit her. Turning to look at Scott, Diana noticed how he frowned too, clearly confused.

"Is it completely healed?" Stiles asked, almost wincing at the mere idea of seeing a scar.

"No..." Scott mumbled, unsure, causing Stiles to frown as he turned around to look at the mark on Lydia's side only to gag at the sight as Diana rolled her eyes. "Not at all..."

"I don't get it." Stiles said. "The doctor said she'd be fine, right?"

"Yeah." Diana nodded. "They say she'll be okay in a few days."

"Yeah, but the bite's not healing like it did with me." Scott said.

"Which means... She's not a werewolf, right?" Diana asked.

"Yeah, but Peter said that the bite either kills you or turns you." Scott said.

"So... If Lydia's not dead..." Stiles said.

"And she's not a werewolf..." Scott continued, as the three kids turned to look at the girl, laying there, still completely motionless but healing well - and in a humanly possible speed - according to the doctors.

"Then what the hell is she?" Diana asked, causing both Scott and Stiles to shrug, apparently just as lost and confused as Diana herself seemed to be.