11 He Wanted Them to Share

Xiang Yong wasn't quite sure what his king was thinking of. But clearly, something was going through his mind. He kept quiet, letting him think things through first.

To be honest, Qiu Ling didn't even know where to start solving the situation. Giving them another task was definitely what they should do. But it couldn't be just anything. It should be something that had a bit of importance, maybe even something that was tied to them being of mixed blood.

That way, it would be something that only they would be able to do, not any of the other dragons. While it wouldn't necessarily show them that they were accepted as dragons, it could show them that they were able to add something to the dragon realm for being exactly who they were. They didn't need to be like everyone else. They could be themselves and they were still valuable just for that.

Qiu Ling never would've thought that he would one day think something like this but he did. Because slowly, he was realizing that running away from the problem he had didn't help. They were of mixed blood. They had been born that way, they had grown up that way, and if they ever found their demise, they would also die that way.

Sure, they could try to fit in. They could try to pretend to be a full-blooded dragon, but it was exhausting. And considering that they didn't hail from the demons but the gods who they were allied with, he didn't think that they needed to do that. Instead, he should give them the opportunity to have a special place in the dragon realm, one where they were able to fulfill some kind of special task because of who they were.

He took a deep breath and then sighed, still not quite sure how to go about this. He looked at Xiang Yong, leaning back on his throne "I'm not sure what to do. But I think that we need a task for them that they are able to do because they also have the blood of the gods. It can't be just anything"

Xiang Yong nodded. "If it helps, so far, I only gathered them. I didn't tell them yet what this is about. It was a bit difficult to find everyone and I didn't want to risk any rumors spreading."

Qiu Ling nodded. "Well, that is good then. They won't have any specific expectations. We probably don't even need to tell them that the task got changed as long as we can come up with something fast enough. The question is what task to use. So far, I can't really think of anything.

"The relationship with the gods will be ... a bit difficult for the time being. On the other hand, there isn't anything urgent to do. Although ..." He thought about what they had been doing in the Nine Heavens for the last few weeks. "We're still trying to figure out what to do about that matter with Jing He."

Xiang Yong raised his brows but then, understanding already dawned in his eyes. "You want to use them as support for the gods in trying to find a way to deal with this. Because they might have a better understanding of the trials than other dragons would."

"Exactly. They ... they have the features of the gods and dragons to varying degrees. Not everyone will be able to change their form or bind their soul, while some might actually be required to go on the trials themselves. I think it would be a valuable experience for them to put that to good use.

"Also, on the one hand, it will probably be easier for the gods to open up to them since they are related to their own race and they won't feel the need to hide much. On the other hand, having grown up here, most of the half-bloods will know enough about the dragons that they understand the difficulty in this."

Xiang Yong nodded. "Well, that would leave the question of whether and how well they are able to do the work of a scholar."

Qiu Ling smiled wryly. "Well, that is indeed the part that makes this a little difficult. But An Bai is still over there. I trust that he will be able to take charge of this matter. As for the ones who aren't able to at all ..." He shook his head. "I still don't know but I'm sure we can find another task for them."

Xiang Yong nodded. "Then should I go and inform them now?"

Qiu Ling pondered for a bit but in the end, he didn't nod. In any case, hadn't he wanted something to do? Well, he might as well get things in order while he was at it. And after what had happened today, solving the matter with Jing He and Jing Yi as fast as possible was definitely the first thing he should do. "I will tell them myself. Just bring them over here."

Xiang Yong nodded, his gaze showing some surprise, but he immediately left to do the task at hand.

The half-bloods had already been waiting to be called so as soon as they heard that they were supposed to go to the throne room, they all followed after him, waiting for Xiang Yong to lead them inside.

They couldn't help but be excited. They had seen the king the last time as well but it had only been for a short moment. Now, there would be another opportunity. They had thought that they would only deal with adviser Xiang Yong which would've been an honor in and of itself but seeing the king was still different.

Xiang Yong didn't waste time with words and opened the door as soon as they arrived. Then, he walked toward the throne, taking a stand not too far from Qiu Ling. He didn't sit down. No, at this point, it was a good moment to keep up appearances.

He had seen how his king could be, so he wanted others to see it as well. He just hoped that his king wouldn't suddenly revert to his old ways and pretend to be a fool again. He just wanted for him to be the king that he had dreamed of serving. The kind of king who would swoop in and save a couple of young children. He wanted others to share in the awe he had felt that day when he saw him for the first time.