The Arena

Chapter Ten

~Gunner~

The Arena had been built since the beginning of our Nation's time. It was well preserved and cared for, giving you the honor to step back in time. The walls and seats were made of stone, solid cold hard stone. All were welcome to come and witness the first of many fighters who would present to the Nation how much skill they possessed in order to be trusted to keep their people safe.

In situations such as these, I was to be accompanied by my Luna. Since her death it had been Jeremiah who stepped in for Haven in her absence. I knew that my people were awaiting the day I'd present them with a new female leader, but my heart wasn't in it. I feared another tragedy happening, people would begin to suspect just what was happening.

I stared out to the many homes and buildings passing by in a blur. What I really wanted was to be home, away from prying eyes and curious looks. There was no doubt that I was the talk of many in the Nation. They all looked up to me, and the idea was beginning to put me on edge. Thought's of leaving the title as Alpha in Jeremiah's hands were beginning to sound like a pleasant idea. He was next in line and my beta, he was married and expecting his first child.

My agility and strength would pass on to him, as well my title as Alpha. However, Jeremiah still showed signs of weakness, his heart wasn't entirely in this, I needed someone who was head strong and determined to lead.

Maybe if I took the time to talk with him we could work something out. I wouldn't have it any other way. He was an Ardent and his first born was to be a son. I began to ponder this as I watched the driver pass the large black gates of the arena. The shade brought a calm over me as he parked in the darkness of the newly added parking lot. I stepped out and adjusted my blazer determined to look presentable.

The general greeted me at the entrance and I shook his hand and saluted him.

"My brother, has he arrived?" I asked.

"No Sir, he is still yet to come." He informed. We walked up a pair of long narrow stone stairs that led to the very top of a large balcony. Large banners hung above us decorated in different shades of blue. Our wolf stood tall and proud on one of them, the single star in his eye representing our Nation.

I looked about and noticed that the people had begun to gather. Taking my seat I excused the General to his duties.

My eyes looked to the large ground below. The keeper of these grounds had done a fine job at leveling the sand neatly. It was only a matter of time before they were scattered in every direction, soaking in the blood of those who fought to prove their strength and agility against those much more wiser.

I stood and rested my hands over the stoned balcony. The air was fresh this afternoon, the sun radiated with a soothing burning heat. It was a perfect day to hold the tournament. The recruits were no doubt desperate to step foot onto the sands that held many's defeats and wins.

I stared out to my people, watched as they smiled and talked to one another. They took this as a game, a simple pass time. In my eyes I saw this as the moment of truth, a moment in which I would witness the strength and loyalty to our Nation.

"Brother, always the first to arrive." Jeremiah said.

I turned to look at him and nodded. He joined me on the balcony and stared out to the millions of lycan's that had begun to show. "It always amazes me just how many show up for this event." He muttered.

"Ah but the time's have changed, brother. They take this as a pass time. I recall father telling me bed time stories of these events. The Nation waited on the edge of their seats to see just how many could stand against the wise." I replied.

"I agree. They even bring their coolers, if I am not wrong I think I saw a few snack stands outside of the Arena." He confessed.

"We need our people to take this seriously. I must have a moment with them before it all begins." I said.

Jeremiah nodded and patted me once on the shoulder before walking away. I was overwhelmed by anger to realize just how far I had let my people take this important day as an fun event rather than a serious moment in our history. It was a mere past time to them, entertainment. I felt a low growl gather at the center of my chest.

***

~Mindy~

I had entered the force with thought's of focusing my entire self in devoting my life for my Nation. Granted that I had refused to accept my title as Luna I was still determined to give back to my people in some way. I was better off in the battle field, I would do no good to them behind the doors of a large mansion where everything was handed to me just because I was Luna.

There was so much more I could give here. Although they did not know who I really was I was happy that they looked at me as just another lycan in the force. The many month's training at my grandfather's side had given me a large advantage in the force when I first joined. To my surprise he had taught me everything the first year recruits did. I was ahead of my class and for it I was promoted to second year trainee.

Sure there had been a few petitions to have me booted out of the force because they supposedly had shown me favoritism because of my grandfather, but the many complaints where soon silence when they witnessed my strength and knowledge. By the end of the second semester in second year I was promoted to third year trainee yet again. I was able to graduate with the four years seniors. All under two years of training.

I had to give it to my grandfather, he had taught me well. My thought's drifted to him, and I felt a terrible sadness take over my heart. I was good at masking emotions. The two years training had taught me that. It was best to keep your opponent guessing, it distracted him knowing you showed no sign of pain nor anger.

My grandfather had been moved to a senior home when I had decided to leave for the force. I was unaware of his state of health. The last I had heard of him was to read a letter from Lycan Center telling me he had been diagnosed with kidney failure. I had sent numerous letters and I had yet to recieve a reply. Being in the force took you away from everything, including family and petitions to visit a loved one. It was either in or out, that was the only option they gave you.

The only link they allowed us to have between family member were letters. Had I gotten the chance to phone him I'd have done it in a heart beat.

"Lycan's, Rise!"

The General entered the dingy cell where many of us sat. This place brought out the animalistic side of me. My wolf stirred within me to feel the coolness of the large cell. The sun light spilled through the gaps of the rusted bars above our heads. We stood and waited for him to address us.

"Alpha Ardent has requested that none shall use protection. He wants to see you at your full potential. Remove bandages, shoes, and padding. The men shall strip down from everything except their pants and only their pants. Women will strip from everything but their tops and pants. Are we clear!" He shouted. His voice echoed through the large chamber.

"Yes, Sir!" We replied in union.

"Oh, and one more thing, there will be no exception of gender." He said.

"What? That's not fair!" One of the females said, speaking out of line.

"Step up, soldier!" He shouted.

She stepped up and held her chin up as the General approached her. Securing his hands behind him he stood tall. "We are a Nation of lycanthrope, not a Nation of monkeys. Women are as equal as men in strength, so don't tell me that you cannot step into an arena with one of them. There is no unfairness here. Sargent, put her in the front." He said lastly before walking out.

Glancing over at her I witness her lip quiver. Sasha was her name, she was outspoken and thickheaded, that would not suit well in the line of battle. When you signed up for the force it wasn't to spit out your opinions but to follow orders, orders that had kept our Nation in line for so many years. Questioning it would get you nowhere and worst of all killed.

I lowered my eyes and did as I was told. I stripped from my boots, jacket, and tags. Setting my things neatly aside, I stood in nothing but my muscle shirt and pants. I was ready.