9

"I have a secret, Little Zhen," They smiled. "I'm the one who told Qi Qiao to take you the book."

Zhen Jie's heart fell and her eyebrows furrowed. She tried to piece together everything and figure out who the masked stranger was, and why they were out to get her when she'd never done anything wrong to anyone. All she'd ever done was live, but maybe that was where she went wrong.

"You see, Qi Qiao was never supposed to be raped — but one of my friends wanted to have a little fun so I decided, why not? She was going to die either way and having her raped would be good for me." They continued, their shoes causing a ruckus against the floor as they paced back and forth. "It'd deter the cops from suspecting a woman."

Still, Zhen Jie could not fathom what they were saying. Why would they not want the police to suspect a woman if they were going through great lengths to shift the blame on Zhen Jie? It just didn't make sense at the moment, but as they stopped and crouched before Zhen Jie, they sent her a sharp smile and answered her unspoken question.

"But that's where the book came into play," They tittered. "In case they did suspect a woman, it'd be you. The last one she was seen with."

"But you just had to see us that day and fuck everything up, didn't you?"

"Us?" Zhen Jie questioned, yet another question arising. She could pinpoint every one of the girls who stood over Qi Qiao and stripped her bare of her worth, but the woman in her presence was not one of them. "Who are you? Wan Cui and her friends are in jail..."

"Tch, you didn't see my face, but I was there," They stood up, straightening their shirt. "I'd gotten lucky enough to step away when you came around the corner."

"Do you really not recognize my voice? My eyes?"

After minutes of silence, they removed their mask and smiled, "Mo Chen?" Zhen Jie blurted, her eyes stinging. However, the burning blaze behind her eyes were not from anger, nor was it from tears. She was drought of tears and could no longer cry. The fire was from betrayal, and it was slowly inching her entire body.

She felt like she couldn't breathe. She was hurt and distraught, but more confused over everything else. How could her friend, they girl she trusted with her life, so that to her? How could she say such disgusting things to her?

"My friend... what did I do to you?"

But then, crisp leaves started falling from trees and into their rightful places on the ground. Though nothing made sense, still, Zhen Jie was starting to realize that Mo Chen was never her friend. She made fun of her while claiming to be her "friend", she made her feel less of a woman—a human—for things she couldn't control, and she hurt Zhen Jie in more ways than she could name.

"You fucked everything up, you fucking retarded bitch!" Mo Chen yelled. "That's what I hate about you! You act so damn clueless, but you know exactly what you're doing! Is it attention you want? Surely you can't be so dense."

"B-but, Mo Chen," Zhen Jie's voice cracked. "I don't understand. Is someone making you do t-this? You said that I don't know you... but I know you."

"Zhen Jie, you and I were never friends! Before Qi Qiao's death, we were merely associates. I tolerated you—I never planned on hurting you—but you interfered with everything!" She ran her fingers through her hair as if she was the one who'd been beaten and robbed of her dignity by multiple men. "And no, you don't know me... but I know you."

Mo Chen grabbed Zhen Jie's jaw and laughed maniacally, "The only reason I was nice to you after Qi Qiao's death was because I had to keep an eye on you. I had to make sure you didn't talk."