The Birthday Lunch

The human mind is strange. Sometimes you are too close to a person and yet feel the most awkward sharing something with them. There had never been any secrets between the two sisters but Kyra was feeling very nervous in revealing about Virat to Jiya.

"He is just my friend. Why am I feeling so uncomfortable in sharing this fact of my life with my sister? Of all people, Jiyu?? She knows me in and out. It's not like I am introducing a guy to my parents. Why these jitters then?" Kyra was lost in her thoughts while watching the TV.

Jiya was observing her sister since a while. She seemed to be thinking something really hard. But Jiya knew her Di would talk to her when she wants to. She always has. So she decided to give her time and not ask questions.

"Jiyu!! Can I sleep in your room tonight? It's been long." Kyra asked after switching off the TV. Both sisters had hardly paid attention to the movie they were supposedly watching. "Ofcourse Di!! Why do you need to ask? Come on!" Jiya replied instantly.

Both of them were leaning against the bed's headboard and casually talking when Kyra decided to come up with what was on her mind since a long time. "I need to talk to you about something important Jiyu which I feel you should know."

"I know Di that there is something going on in your mind. I was waiting for you to speak up." Jiya said. Kyra smiled at how well her baby sister knew her. "But promise me, you will not misunderstand." Kyra urged.

Jiya shifted closer and held Kyra's hand. "Never Di, from when did we start having judgements and misunderstandings between us? Please feel free to share."

"Jiyu, I had gone to Hope foundation again." Kyra waited for Jiyu's reaction and as expected, she stiffened. She pressed Kyra's hand and just mumbled "Di??"

"I am okay Jiyu. I am completely fine. I didn't go there for therapy." Kyra quickly explained and Jiya seemed to relax a bit. Kyra continued, "I went there just to interact with the patients and share my story and experience with them."

"That's great Di! Were you comfortable?"

"I wasn't at first but someone made me completely at ease, gave me strength like always, motivated me and I was all fine." Kyra said with a big smile on her face.

Jiya was surprised. She simply asked "Who Di?" Kyra took in a deep breath and replied "Virat." "Virat Oberoi? The actor?" Jiya asked and Kyra nodded.

"I remember you told me about him on your birthday. The way he unknowingly helped you overcome your struggle and I will always be thankful to him for that. So did he ask you to visit the foundation?"

Kyra took a moment and started explaining everything from the beginning. How Virat had replied to her message, how they started chatting on social media, how he encouraged her to come forward and help others like her, how they met and he was so humble and so on and so forth.

Jiya was noticing how fondly Kyra was talking about Virat. She thought there was certainly more to the story. "That's so nice of him Di! So does he visit the foundation every month? Even you go there now frequently?"

"He goes every month or alternate months if he is busy with shoots. But I have been there only once. While returning, we came back together in his car. I was so wrong in assuming that celebrities have attitude and tantrums. He is so much like us. We exchanged numbers and have become good friends Jiyu. We chat and talk often." Kyra said weighing her words and was worried about Jiya's reaction.

"So the jacket was Virat's?" Jiya asked straightaway and Kyra was taken aback at her kid sister's questioning tone. "Yes!" That was the only reply that Kyra could give.