KIAH

Héctor's back again.

'Evenin',' he says, coming up to the booth.

I smile at him. With his wide-brimmed cowboy hat and jangly boots, Héctor's one of the club's more renowned regulars. Normally, there's a bottle of vodka hidden under his arm, but I can't see it tonight.

Héctor brings half our business some nights. He sits at the bar and impresses all manner of scantily clad women with his cheap magic tricks. At least, I assume they're cheap.

He leans on the counter and flashes me a grin.

'You still here then?'

He's figured out our shift rota.

'Kaylee's not here yet,' I explain.

'Well, you tell her from me that it ain't fair to leave you here alone all night.'

'I'll be lucky,' I say and he hands over his coat.

Héctor never leaves his hat. If there's one thing you can say about him, it's that he's always on-brand. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen the top of his head.

He turns to leave, but stops, boots hitting the floor.

'Did you think I was going without leaving a tip?'

I look up at him, unsure how to respond. I rarely know how to when it comes to Héctor.

Then he angles his arm out to the side and, with a snap of his fingers, flames erupt from the sleeve of his shirt. A few gasps come from the club behind him. He made sure the door was open, of course.

When the fire subsides and retreats under his sleeve, there's a ten-dollar bill tucked between his fingers. He gives me a wink and stuffs it in the tip jar. But before he strolls into the club, I stop him.

'Wait.'

He turns back with a grin.

'How do you it?'

'Magic. Pure and simple.'

I roll my eyes. 'That's impossible.'

He shakes his head. 'Not impossible, just improbable.' When I look at him with confusion, he sighs and explains further. 'When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.'

Then with a toothy smile, he strolls into the club, his boots clicking against the floor.

I shake my head and pick out the bill. Still warm.

The door to the parking lot smashes open as Kaylee staggers in. Her tight coat and pink-tinted hair flow behind her as she rushes to the booth.

'Before you say anything—' she holds both hands up in surrender— 'I'm super sorry. I got caught up at... well, you know.'

I don't, but it doesn't matter.

'It's fine,' I say and start searching for my coat. I hope Leah hasn't been waiting too long.

'Tell you what,' she says, placing a hand on my shoulder, 'I'll cover your shift tomorrow. You know, make up for it.'

'You really don't have to,' I say. Although it would be nice to get a full night's sleep for once.

'Mm-mm.' She shakes her head. 'No chance. You work too hard, take a break.'

I roll my eyes. 

'Good.' She grins. 'Now go on, go get some sleep.'

I pull on my coat and make for the door. 'See you later.'