KIAH

After a sombre rendition of Lord of the Dance — Leah's least hated hymn — we take our seats for the final reading. After this, everyone will make their way to the crematorium for the last bit. I'm not sure if there's a wake after, but Leah would have definitely wanted one.

As I settle back onto the hard seat, the church doors open. Not in a dramatic, bursting way, but in a quiet, creaking way that grabs everyone's attention anyway. A boy about my age sneaks inside, keeping his head low and shuffling into the nearest pew. He sits down, likely feeling the scornful eyes of the church upon him.

Then the priest clears his throat and starts to drone on about new beginnings. It makes me wonder if Rose knew her daughter at all. Leah was all about endings, and explosive ones at that.

While I filter out the priest's words, I can't help but look back at the boy. He's not anyone I've seen at school, and, to be honest, he looks a mess. His clothes are muddy and torn and his hair sticks up like he's been electrocuted. Plus, a circle of dried mud sits on his cheek. 

He doesn't notice me and just stares forward, the intensity in his eyes making it clear he's not listening to the reading either.

The other occupants of the church couldn't be more different. Most of us are neatly done up and shrouded in black formal clothes. 

I wonder if he was a friend of Leah's. She certainly liked to move in strange crowds — but I thought I knew all her friends.

After a long while, the priest stops talking and everyone stands, ready to follow the coffin out. I wonder what Leah looks like in there. If they dressed her and made her neat, if they tried to hide her bright red hair.

While we're waiting for our turn to file out into the aisle, Mom nudges my shoulder.

'Who was that boy?' she asks. 'Do you know him?'

I look over to the doors and shake my head. 'Never seen him before.' 

He seems to have disappeared now, making a sharp exit as soon as the priest finished.

'Funny,' Mom says, 'to turn up here like that.'

'Hmm.'

We continue to file out, following the crowd when a loud-looking woman comes up to Mom. By loud-looking, I mean that her entire outfit, apart from the black dress, is draped in pink: a pink bracelet, a pink broach, a pink flower on top of her hat, and even pink fingernails.

'Gosh!' she says in a poorly hushed voice. 'You're looking well!'

I finally place her. She's one of the parents from Jake's school. She used to visit and they'd share coffee in the kitchen before things got bad.

Mom thanks her for the compliment, looking a little embarrassed, and the two walk side by side. Jake and I follow behind dutifully.

'It's a terrible business, isn't it? A tragedy.'

'Mmm,' Mom hums and I sense they may not be friends after all.

'And to think, your girl involved too! We can only be thankful she's okay.'

When Mom doesn't reply, the lady falters.

'Oh gosh. I've put my foot in it, haven't I? I'm so sorry.'

Mom laughs politely. 'No, of course not, Polly. You only meant well.'

The two smile as we reach the front of the church where Rose and Calum stand by the door, opposite the priest, and thank everyone for coming. I'm not sure what to say, so I plaster on a sad smile and shake their hands, giving Jake a look that tells him to do the same. Once we finally escape into the car park, Mom and Polly stand and chat.

They've moved on from Leah now and instead discuss the new shopping mall opening fifty miles north of Koda Beach. Jake hangs onto Mom's hand, getting bored and clearly becoming impatient for his ice cream.

It seems like they're going to be talking a while so I glance around the car park, searching for someone I recognise.

The boy from earlier is leaning against the church gates. He's glancing around too, watching all of us from afar. Then I spot some girls from school a hundred feet ahead. They're in a small ring, talking with straight faces. I don't know them well, but it's better than listening to Polly.

I begin striding over, feeling the sun beat against my skin, when I chance a look back at the boy and our eyes meet. Something moves in my head, like a switch being pressed for the first time. It all falls into place. 

I know who he is — and he knows who I am too.

Before I can react, he straightens and makes a bee-line towards me. I look away. This is too soon. I'm not ready. If I can just make it to the girls, he won't be able to touch me. I'll be safe there.

But by looking away, I've made a fatal mistake. I don't realise he's running to catch up before it's too late. Safety is still a good distance away when he rests a muddy hand on my shoulder. As soon as he does, electricity courses through my veins. 

A warning. Something telling me to run.

'Wait,' he says, breathlessly. 'I just want to talk.'

It's impossible to leave now. People are already watching from the corner of their eyes, waiting for us to make a scene. So I turn around, and finally face him.

Now I do, I don't see why I was so terrified. His hair still stands bolt upright on his head, but he looks no more intimidating for it. I was expecting someone huge and scary, but he's just a kid. Like me. In fact, I think I'm a bit taller — and definitely stronger.

I flick my eyes over to Mom. She's still laughing with Polly but is slowly moving toward the car. We haven't got long.

'What do you want?' I ask.

He takes a step back, skittish, and I realise he could bolt at any moment. Is he hiding from someone?

'I just...' he starts, 'I just thought we should talk. You know who I am, right? You saw it too?'

I nod, noting his strange accent. Although there wasn't much to see, more of a feeling.

'I think there's a way out of this. A way that means neither of us has to fight.'