Shot 20

"Finally. This is over and I can get on with my life now" Omkara said as he stepped out of the court with Mishra beside him.

"Did you inform at home?" Mishra asked

"No. Let me" Omkara said and dialed Gauri's number.

"Omkaraji?" Gauri answered the call on the second ring.

"Gauri. It's over" Omkara said

"In our favour right?" Gauri asked anxiously.

"Of course. Where is Muskaan" Omkara asked

"Here. With me" Gauri said

"Give her a loud kiss from me" Omkara said and Gauri chuckled.

"Will do. Are you coming home now?" Gauri asked

"Yes. There are certain formalities left. Some papers to be signed. I will be home after that" Omkara said

"Was Kamini there?" Gauri asked

"I didn't see her Gauri. She knew she wouldn't be winning the case. So she bailed out" Omkara said with relief. He honestly do not want to see that woman's face again.

"Okay then. Come home soon. We are waiting for you" Gauri said as she caressed little Muskaan's head

"Soon. Tell mom and dad also" Omkara said and hung up the call

***

"Finally. You are ours forever" Gauri said cuddling little Muskaan to her bosom.

"Mussy Out" Muskaan demanded pointing at the rose garden from the bedroom window.

"Muskaan wants to go out. Then we will go out" Gauri said and made Muskaan wear her little hat and took her out.

On the way out, Gauri informed Tej and Jhanvi about what Omkara told them and they took their turns cuddling and kissing Muskaan.

"Jaanu nooo" wiggled in their arms and let out a loud wail, eager to get out of their hold and go out.

"It's her play time I guess. Not in a mood to be pampered it seems" Jhanvi said letting Muskaan down on the floor.

As soon as she was kept down, Muskaan toddled over, on her chubby little feet, to the French doors that leads to the garden.

***

Kamini was driving at reckless speed towards the Oberoi mansion.

There had to be some way to make Omkara pay her that money, Kamini fumed frantically.

She had been so sure that he would buy her off! That was the whole reason she had threatened to lay claim to Muskaan. The last thing she wanted was a dependent child.

The new watchman, not knowing the evil she was, let her in. Kamini stopped the car as she saw Omkara's wife with Muskaan in the garden.

"Give me my grandchild" Kamini demanded the moment she reached them, stationing herself strategically in front of Gauri and reaching swiftly down, lifting Muskaan up before Gauri could stop her.

At being handled by a stranger whose touch lacked the loving tenderness she was used to, Muskaan immediately started to cry, her distress adding to Gauri's anxiety.

"You’re frightening her" she cautioned Kamini protectively. "

"She isn’t used to being held like that. Look, let me show you what she likes…" Gauri tried to stall the woman from whatever she was planning, hoping that somebody would come out and see them.

"I don’t give a damn what she does or doesn’t like" Kamini retorted unpleasantly, breaking off to give a small angry scream and quickly hold Muskaan at arm’s length as the baby reacted to her roughness by sicking up some of her food.

"Don’t you dare be sick on me, you little brat" Kamini told her furiously, shaking her so hard that Gauri immediately tried to remonstrate with her.

"You don’t like what I’m doing. Tough!" Kamini told Gauri contemptuously. "She’s my grandchild and she’s coming with me."

Gauri couldn’t believe what she was hearing.

Kamini couldn’t possibly just walk off with Muskaan like that.

Kamini was now turning round, still holding Muskaan, without any concern for the baby’s comfort, and heading for the car, opening the driver’s door, and for the first time Gauri realised that the engine was still running.

Panic filled her. You only read about such things—children being abducted in custody wars—but she had never for one second imagined that it might happen to Muskaan.

"You can’t take her! Please…" she protested, her throat dry and raw with fear. She wanted to scream for help. But fear held her voice captive.

"She’s just a baby! She doesn’t know you. Soon she will be hungry and she’ll need a feed and…" Gauri tried to reason with the woman.

Frowningly Kamini hesitated.

What Gauri was saying was true! She thought quickly, her eyes narrowing with concentration.

"Well, if you’re so concerned about her, you’d better get in the car as well. Who knows? Perhaps Omkara will be prepared to pay double to get the pair of you back!" Kamini said evilly.

Gauri stared at her. Kamini was kidnapping Muskaan in order to make Omkara pay to get her back?

Frantically she searched the other woman’s face. Everything she could see there confirmed all that Gauri felt about her, and her fears for Muskaan grew.

Kamini was carelessly bundling Muskaan into the back of her car.

"Wait!" Gauri demanded as Kamini started to get into the car, ignoring Muskaan's wails of protest. "I’m coming with you. But we need to take the stroller…it turns into a car seat and—"

"No way! Either get in now or I’ll leave" Kamini told her grimly.

What real options did she have? Gauri asked herself.

None! Shakily she got into the back of the car and tried to comfort Muskaan as Kamini proceeded to drive off at such a high speed.

Thank heavens she had Muskaan wrapped protectively in her arms.

By the time Tej and Jhanvi came out hearing the loud cries of the child, all they could see was a car speeding out their driveway.

Tej hurried towards the security guard.

"Who was that?" Tej asked frantically

"That was Gauri Madam and the baby" the security guard said

"Who was driving the car?" Jhanvi asked

"The woman who came here last week. The one wearing flashy sarees and all" the security said

"Damn it. How could you let her in?" Tej asked furiously

The security guard stared at them in fear. He wasn't aware that the woman shouldn't be allowed in.

"We didn't tell them to Tej. We never expected the woman to stoop this low to kidnap the child. Inform the police and Om. Hurry up" Jhanvi said

Omkara was driving home when he got a call from his father. All blood leached from his face when he heard what his father had to say

"What??"

A/n

Now now, how could I finish off a story without some drama. That would be sooo "not me"

So what do you think is going to happen next?

Please do vote and comment

Love ❤