Chapter 14: North Wind

Shades of gray and white cloaked the night as the North Wind stirred up the snow. Bits of snow poured into Cang Ji's collar and rubbed against his skin, the cold penetrating his bones.

Why did it hurt so much?

Cang Ji tightened his grip. Jing Lin's back was a bloody mess. He climbed up, turned Jing Lin's face over and wiped Jing Lin's cheeks with his bloodstained thumb. Jing Lin was still trembling earlier on, but now, Cang Ji was the only one shaking. It was then he realized that shivering was sometimes beyond humans' control.

Resentful, Cang Ji gritted his teeth so hard they made a sound. He should be jumping for joy as he devoured this jumble of blood and meat into his belly. But for some unknown reason, he wanted to rip Zui Shan Seng's throat apart right this very moment.

Xiang Mo Staff returned to its master's hand. Zui Shan Seng had removed his hat earlier, revealing a head that looked as if there was a layer of green tangerine peel1 on it. He was initially haggard, but now he looked young.

(1. 青皮 Qing Pi or green tangerine peel. Basically saying the top of his head looks like the picture on the right.)

Zui Shan Seng carried his staff and approached, all traces of playfulness gone. Snow drenched his tattered clothes. His dark brown cassock was worn out, but on his body, it seemed like a stolen article.

"You are just a fish that has just come into existence. Even if you had accidentally gone astray, there is still a chance for you to return to the right path. This man is strange. It is not surprising for him to confuse your heart with some heretical remarks." Zui Shan Seng stood still. "When I finish him off, you will get your way out."

With this change in appearance, he had even stopped addressing himself as "this old man". But those pair of eyes were still cloudy and at odds with his facial features. All traces of drunkenness had also vanished. It was as if his earlier appearance was all just a facade, and this was the real Zui Shan Seng.

Zui Shan Seng was very much aware of Cang Ji's cultivation. If Jing Lin was still of value enough for him to be willing to watch out for him, then Cang Ji was not worth mentioning at all. With just a slight movement of his finger, he could wipe this brocade carp out. However, he did not see himself as a murderer, so he was unwilling to deal another killing blow to Cang Ji.

Cang Ji did not reply. When Zui Shan Seng saw that he had no intent to mend his ways, he raised a hand to urge him to step aside. Cang Ji sprang up like a wolf, his strong and long body pouncing on Zui Shan Seng like a sharp flying blade.

Zui Shan Seng rebuked, "You're overestimating yourself!"

Cang Ji broke through the snow barrier and grabbed Zui Shan Seng's left shoulder. Zui Shan Seng remained as firm as a rock as he retracted his shoulder and hit back with his bare hands.

Cang Ji's fingers were taut as he took the blows without retreating, using pure brute force to force Zui Shan Seng back. Zui Shan Seng did not expect Cang Ji to know such a crude and relentless way of combat; he was totally disregarding his own life. Zui Shan Seng immediately dodged the blows.

Crumbled snow flew all over, blanketing the ground with misty snow. Thumping sounds incessantly popped up from Zui Shan Seng's arms. He had always despised this kind of fight-to-the-death struggle, but he never expected to encounter such a troublesome opponent today!